Internship: Sustainable Procurement Project Assistant – Freiburg, Germany
Organization: ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
Location: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany
Hours and Compensation: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum; ICLEI offers a modest internship salary of € 835, i.e. about € 650 after tax and social insurance fees (room rents in Freiburg start around € 250 per month)
Application Deadline: January 14, 2013
Position Dates: March 1, 2013; 6 month duration
Posted On: Dec. 28, 2012
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is an association of 1,200 local governments in 68 countries that are dedicated to sustainable development. It has 15 offices servicing its members while developing innovative projects and events and is an international not-for-profit association and network perceived as the international representative of cities for sustainability. The European Secretariat is based in Freiburg, Germany.
The European Secretariat of ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability seeks to fill an internship position within its Sustainable Procurement team.
ICLEI’s Sustainable Procurement team supports public authorities, particularly
local governments, in including sustainability considerations when purchasing products and services. This internship will be of benefit for anyone who seeks international professional experience and is interested in sustainable development with a special focus on sustainable public procurement at the European level.
• Assist in developing and implementing ICLEI’s European Sustainable Procurement Campaign Procura+ (www.procuraplus.org), particularly with regards to external communication with members and partners;
• Writing, compiling, translating and editing news articles and press releases. This will include uploading and co-ordinating daily news contributions on project and thematic websites and e-newsletters (for example, the Sustainable Procurement Resource Centre (www.sustainable-procurement.org), the European GPP News Alert (see http://ec.europa.eu/environment/gpp/alert_en.htm), the Sustainable Timber Action project (www.sustainable-timber-action.org); and posting news on the Procura+ Exchange – a trilingual international information and exchange email list on sustainable procurement, where information is regularly posted in English, German and French;
• Supporting various communication and research activities for ongoing European projects on sustainable procurement (for example, LANDMARK, Sustainable Timber Action, Clean Fleets);
• Supporting the organisation and delivery of small and medium-sized events on sustainable procurement;
• Supporting ICLEI’s Sustainable Procurement team with regard to external communication with partners and other parties interested in obtaining information or becoming involved in different initiatives. This will also involve providing general office support for minute taking, translations, telephone support and management of contacts.
• Education: Academic degree in a relevant field such as Environmental Science, Forestry, Economics, Human Rights, Corporate Social Responsibility, Political Science, International Relations, Communications (with a focus on sustainable development) or other relevant field;
• Computer skills: Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications, databases. Web editing experience (Typo 3 or other CMS) and desktop publishing software experience desirable;
• Organisational skills: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (orally and in writing), ability to write in a range of styles, precision, ability to be self-organised within a large team, confident manner when dealing with project partners;
• Experience in the organisation of events, workshops, seminars desirable;
• Languages: Excellent command of English; additional language(s) an asset.
• An understanding of sustainable public procurement principles and practices an asset;
• Previous work experience in an international organisation, local government or NGO is desirable.
A quick learner with a positive attitude is ideally suited to this position.
How to Apply
Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to:
Your letter of motivation should include a description of your expectations of the internship and a description of your main interests. Please also specify when you would like/when are you able to start/end the internship.
For more information about ICLEI visit: