Program Officer – Washington DC
Organization: Verified Carbon Standard
Job Title: Program Officer
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time; competitive salary
Application Deadline: January 11, 2013
Position Dates: Starts immediately
Posted On: Dec. 29, 2012
The Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the associated VCS Program were launched in November 2007 and are now well established among the leading global greenhouse gas (GHG) standards and programs in the voluntary carbon market. Our primary objective is to bring standardization, transparency and credibility to the voluntary carbon market. Increasingly, we are generating lessons and providing inputs for compliance regimes emerging worldwide.
The VCS Association is seeking a Program Officer to support a variety of operational and technical aspects of the VCS Program.
• Provide guidance and support to project developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, registries and other stakeholders in using the VCS.
• Manage methodologies being developed under the VCS methodology approval process.
• Assist with support and oversight of VCS registries and validation/verification bodies.
• Research contemporary issues and relevant policies affecting the voluntary carbon market and emerging government programs.
• Participate in conferences and other industry events.
• Assist other parts of the organization, as needed.
• University education, in relevant field.
• Understanding of GHG concepts, including voluntary and compliance carbon markets, the development of projects and methodologies, and the role of validation/verification bodies.
• Fluency in English is essential; another language would be considered an asset.
• Good writing and communication skills.
• Sharp analytical mind.
• Ability to multi-task on issues of substance.
• Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
• Professional approach and demeanor.
• Good organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
How to Apply
A competitive salary is available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the application
process. In order to streamline the application process, applicants are requested to submit the following
• Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
• Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
• A short writing sample (maximum 500 words) outlining how the VCS Program is relevant to the
development of international carbon markets.
All documents must be submitted to email@example.com by close of business 11 January 2013.