Business Development/Sales, Biofuels Sustainability Certification – USA and Canada
Job Title: Business Development/Sales
Location: McClean, Virginia; PLEASE NOTE: This position can be based anywhere in the USA and Canada and some travel will be required. The location listed is for our main office, not necessarily where the applicant needs to be based out of.
Hours and Compensation: full time; $65,000-120,000 base plus commission
Application Deadline: none listed
Position Dates: n/a
Posted On: Jan. 4, 2013
The Roundtable on Sustainable Biofuels is an international initiative launched in 2007 in Switzerland, to develop internationally recognized sustainability criteria for biofuels and bioenergy. The RSB standard describes the requirements that entities along the biofuel supply chain must follow to ensure that biofuels deliver on their promise of sustainability by benefitting energy security and rural development, protecting natural resources and human rights and offering significant greenhouse gas emissions reductions as compared to fossil fuels. The RSB standards were developed through a multi-stakeholder dialogue with over 120 participants from 30 countries including NGOs, public and private sectors, organized by a full-time secretariat staff based in Lausanne, Switzerland. The RSB membership includes a broad range of stakeholders including Virgin Group, Shell Oil, The National Wildlife Federation, and Natural Resources Defense Council.
The RSB Services Foundation is a US based non-profit organization formed in October 2011 that will take on a broad range of operational activities on behalf of the RSB Standards Body including the certification process and oversight of licensing and use of the trademark. The RSB Services Foundation will provide training and guidance to biofuel and biomass feedstock producers and refiners, auditors and certification bodies. Finally, the Foundation will provide a framework and organization to facilitate the global adoption of the RSB standard and to support the continued work of RSB Standards through education, training and communications programs.
Accountability: This position will report to the Regional Director, Americas and can be based anywhere in the USA and Canada. Preference may be given to those near a major airport/city since travel will be required.
Scope: Business Development – North America
The RSB Services Foundation is seeking assistance for the expansion of new business in the North American market. This requires cultivating relationships at the most senior levels with prospects at each point in the biofuels supply chain. This project leader will be accountable to the Regional Director for the Americas.
This individual will be responsible for the development and implementation of the RSB Services roll-out in the United States and Canada, and for the development of the regional strategy in those countries. He/she may from time to time assist in developing international supply chains, as they link to clients in the North America region. Primary tasks will focus on recruiting and certifying new customers throughout the biofuels supply chain and sustaining relationships with established clients.
- Work with the management team to increase the demand for the use of the RSB certification label by working with purchasers of biofuel to increase their awareness of sustainability issues, and work with them to integrate RSB certification into their procurement policies.
- Work closely with management team to set sales goals and outreach objectives in the region, and develop a strategy engagement for potential new clients.
- Plan and implement a business development strategy for the region, including a sales forecast breaking out the different biofuel value chain opportunities for certification (ie. biodiesel, ethanol, woody biomass, advanced biofuels)
- Offer feedback on a regional (USA) adaptation of the RSB standard, working with clients and potential clients to understand how the RSB can best meet local needs.
- Development of a robust pipeline of opportunities through the various stages of pipeline development from prospect to approved and certified participating operator.
- Develop and implement effective procedures to support ongoing business development activities from initial planning through proposal and evaluation.
- Track, analyze, and report on business development activities and results as measured against agreed upon sales objectives.
- Identify opportunities and develop strategies for outreach to current and targeted new clients at conferences, exhibits and professional events to enhance the RSB’s reputation and make contacts for potential new participating operators and partnerships.
- Work closely with colleagues to remain fully current on all developments and changes in the RSB standards.
- Consider regional needs and opportunities and propose resource strategies as appropriate.
- Provide the RSB Secretariat with feedback and input from clients and prospects to help improve the RSB certification program over time.
- Proven success in business development of new and organic business within agribusiness and biofuel markets with a track record of consistently exceeding corporate objectives and sales targets;
- At least 7+ years sales and business experience
- 5+ years of experience in sales and/or business development in either the ethanol or biodiesel industry, or a related agricultural, biomass or biofuels field
- Demonstrated knowledge of international bioenergy markets and policy
- Understanding of social and environmental impact issues and sustainability
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision making capabilities
- Team player with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including NGO, private sector, and policymakers.
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel), and online (cloud-based) IT tools.
- A minimum of a Bachelors Degree, Masters in Business Administration or Marketing preferred
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this position.