Food Research & Policy Intern – Washington DC
Organization: Food & Water Watch
Job Title: Food Research & Policy Intern
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: full time; paid
Application Deadline: June 7, 2013
Position Dates: 10 weeks; Summer ’13
Posted On: Jan. 4, 2013
Food & Water Watch is a leading national consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns that challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources, empower people to take action and transform the public consciousness about what we eat and drink. Since 2005, we have won significant victories to protect our food and water. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, the Washington Post and other major media outlets. For more information check out our website at www.foodandwaterwatch.org.
We are currently seeking summer interns interested in fighting for safe food, clean water, and healthy oceans. This position is full-time, and will run for 10 weeks. summer interns receive a small stipend. Current student standing is not necessary. We operate in a relaxed office environment in Washington, DC, metro accessible.
The Food Research & Policy intern will work directly with the food team to challenge factory farms and other industrialized agriculture, and promote local, sustainable food systems. This position mainly involves internet-based research to support the research efforts of the food campaign.
• Researching emerging issues to help our team craft reports, briefing papers, corporate profiles, and articles for the general public, media, NGOs, elected officials and government agencies • Fact-Checking these publications • Assisting researchers with data collection, synthesis, and analysis • Keeping strong records of work and assist with database development • Holding regular office hours and participate in weekly meetings with Food team • Assisting in media outreach to educate millions of people • Producing printed and online materials such as action alerts, newsletters, and activist guides
- Strong interest in Food & Water Watch issues and commitment to social change.
- Strong verbal and written communication and time management skills.
- Ability and desire to work independently on research tasks.
- Experience in academic and corporate research is a plus, as is a background in any of the following: environmental science and policy, agriculture and natural resources management, food and nutrition, economics, political science, federal policy, Geographic Information Systems, computer database management.
How to Apply
Please email a tailored cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com (Subject: Summer DC Food Research Internship), or mail to:
Food & Water Watch Attn: Intern Coordinator 1616 P St NW Suite 300 Washington, DC 20036
Please be sure to indicate in your cover letter that you are interested in the Summer DC Food Research Internship.