Squam Conservation Intern – Holderness, New Hampshire
Organization: Squam Lakes Association
Job Title: Squam Conservation Intern
Location: Holderness, NH
Hours and Compensation: unpaid with stipend and travel allowance
Application Deadline: March 17, 2013
Position Dates: 13 wks Summer 2013
Posted On: Jan. 4, 2013
The Squam Lakes Association (SLA) is a non-profit conservation organization, located in Holderness, NH. SLA was founded in 1904 and it protects the Squam Lakes watershed through Conservation, Education and Outreach programs. SLA owns Moon and Bowman Islands and manages Chamberlain-Reynolds Memorial Forest, all open to the public for low impact recreation and camping. SLA operates Youth programs, monitors Squam’s Water Quality, and maintains over 50 miles of hiking trails. Enjoy your visit to www.squamlakes.org and please support our important mission by becoming an SLA Member.
The Squam Conservation Internship gives future conservation leaders the skills and experience needed to effectively move onto the next professional level while at the same time helping the Squam Lakes Association (SLA) with our conservation mission. This program will provide hands-on conservation work experience and certifications over a broad range of activities. Interns will serve as campsite hosts and caretakers at our backcountry campsites, help with the eradication of variable milfoil, perform water quality testing and monitoring, help with public education and outreach projects, perform conservation duties such as shoreline restoration and trail maintenance and construction, meet and greet lake users and educate them about the dangers of invasive species.
Contact Rebecca Hanson or Brett Durham with questions or for more information.
Squam Conservation Interns will receive the following as a part of the internship:
1. Scuba diving certification
2. Weed control diver certification
3. Lake Host certification
4. NH Safe Boating certification
5. NH Commercial boating license
6. Basic first aid & CPR certifications
7. Housing with kitchen facilities
8. Travel stipend (intern location dependent)
9. Weekly Food stipend ($75/wk)
1. Candidate must be 18 years of age on or before June 1, 2013
2. Have a valid United States driver’s license
3. Be a competent swimmer capable of swimming 500 yards
4. Should have snorkeling experience
5. Ability to carry and use heavy tools while hiking
6. Able to hike at least 8 miles in a day.
7. Available May 23, 2013 through August 22, 2013. (end date negotiable)
How to Apply
We will only accept applications submitted through our webpage. The deadline for applications is March 17, 2013.