Program Manager – Washington DC
Organization: Verified Carbon Standard
Job Title: Program Manager
Location: Washington DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time; competitive salary, along with a generous bonus structure
Application Deadline: February 8, 2013
Position Dates: Starts immediately
Posted On: Jan. 9, 2012
Launched in November 2007, the VCS is the leading global greenhouse gas (GHG) standard and program in the voluntary carbon market. Increasingly, emerging GHG programs around the world look to the VCS for best practices and guidance as they develop their own systems. Since our inception, almost 1,000 projects around the world have issued more than 113 million Verified Carbon Units.
The Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) seeks a bright and ambitious Program Manager to guide the continuing growth of the world’s largest voluntary greenhouse gas program. The right person for this position will oversee the work of validation/verification bodies (VVBs) and VCS registries working under the VCS Program, manage a growing staff of program officers and play an important role in the on-going development of the program.
Principal activities and responsibilities will include, at a minimum, the following:
- Serve as the lead liaison with the VVB community to ensure adherence to the standard, the rigor of project validation and verification, and the proper assessment of methodologies developed under the VCS Program.
- Oversee the work of the VCS registries, including managing audits of the registries and further developing the functionality of the registry system.
- Develop and lead on key program development initiatives related to program quality to further improve and strengthen the VCS Program.
- Work with the senior management team on VCS policy and outreach initiatives, and be an expert resource within the organization.
- Serve as VCS liaison to accreditation bodies such as ANSI on policy, accreditation applications and VVB oversight.
- Develop relationships with other member bodies on the International Accreditation Forum and assist with the establishment of new VCS accreditation programs in key countries.
- Assume overall management responsibility for all program enquiries, particularly those from project proponents and validation/verification bodies.
- Represent VCS at conferences and other industry events.
- Excellent working knowledge of GHG concepts and programs, particularly with respect to project development, monitoring, validation and verification.
- At least eight years professional work experience, including five years in carbon markets, preferably working for or with VVBs under other GHG programs such as the CDM.
- Experience in team management.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Fluency in English is essential; another language would be considered an asset.
- University education; graduate-degree level, in environmental sciences or related field would be considered an asset.
- Sharp analytical mind, with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task on issues of substance.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Professional approach and demeanor.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
- A willingness to travel, including internationally.
How to Apply
In order to streamline the application process, applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
- Résumé/curriculum vitae (not to exceed two pages).
- A short writing sample (maximum 500 words) outlining how the VCS can improve quality assurance for carbon credits.
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.