Strategic Communications Associate — Washington, D.C.
Organization: EarthRights International
Job Title: Strategic Communications Associate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: full time and salary based on experience
Application Deadline: February 1, 2013
Posted On: January 7, 2013
EarthRights International (ERI) is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization (NGO) with offices in Washington DC, Thailand, Peru, and Myanmar/Burma. ERI combines the power of law and the power of people in defence of human rights and the environment. Specializing in legal actions against perpetrators of earth rights abuses, training for grassroots community leaders and advocacy campaigns, we seek to end earth rights abuses, and to promote and protect human and environmental rights in the communities where we work.
ERI is seeking to fill the new position of Strategic Communications Associate, in our Washington D.C. office, to support the existing Communications team and to increase collaboration between Communications and our other programs. In addition to supporting our existing communications efforts, which are largely focused on online communications (including multimedia production and social media outreach), the new Associate will also work on traditional media outreach and public relations, as well as general organizational outreach.
- Press Relations
- Manage ERI’s press database, including monitoring online and offline media coverage of ERI’s work and issue areas;
- Cultivate relationships with editors, journalists and bloggers, to ensure a strong position for ERI in the media;
- Assist program staff in drafting and editing press releases and op-eds;
- Online Communications
- Post content on the ERI website and social media sites, particularly Facebook and Twitter;
- Compile & lay-out ERI’s monthly e-newsletter and emails;
- Design and implement a constituent ladder of engagement, in partnership with our Development team;
- Analyze ERI’s online metrics and make monthly recommendations for design and content changes;
- Manage ERI’s Google Adwords account (training available);
- Produce or assist with short videos and promotional materials, including shareable graphics for social media;
- Collect and catalog photos and videos from all of ERI’s programs;
- General Communications
- Participate in weekly calls with colleagues in Asia and weekly meetings with our Development team, as well as weekly brainstorming sessions and quarterly Communications planning meetings.
- If able, provide occasional office technology support.
- Other communications tasks TBD, based on selected applicant’s skill set.
- 1-2 years experience in digital communications or a related field (journalism, press relations, or advocacy);
- Exceptional writing ability and strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Creative thinking, adaptability, and a willingness to brainstorm and explore new ideas every day;
- General knowledge and enthusiasm regarding human rights and corporate accountability;
- Demonstrated talent in at least two of the following areas. Candidates are not expected to excel in every category, butshouldexcel in at least two and have a genuine interest in developing other skills in these areas.:
- Creative design sensibilities and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc);
- Video advocacy skills, such as recording video and audio or editing video in Final Cut;
- Public relations campaign planning and implementation;
- Advocacy skills such as grassroots mobilizing, grasstops engagement, or government affairs;
- Social media campaigning and constituent engagement, and a working knowledge of tools for on-line advocacy, grassroots organizing and coalition building;
(Note: If you have an excellent background in public relations or advocacy, please apply regardless of your technical/design/video abilities!)
- Any level of HTML experience;
- Experience with online and offline grassroots organizing;
- Regional interest in South East Asia or Latin America;
- Experience with content management software such as Drupal or WordPress;
- Experience with constituent relationship management software such as CiviCRM;
- General web development or IT skills.
Ideally, s/he will also: be self-motivated; work well in an informal, team-oriented environment; be detail oriented; have experience working in a multicultural setting … and have a sense of humor.
How to Apply
To Apply, send the following materials to email@example.com:
- Cover letter / email
- CV / resume
- 3 references
- A short writing sample, no longer than 5 pages.
- If your application highlights graphic design, film or other creative/multimedia skills, please include a portfolio or links to your work.
Email applications only. Application deadline: Feb 1, 2013.
ERI does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Note: Due to the high volume of applicants, we will only be contacting candidates chosen for an interview.