Maryland Chapter Sierra Club (Maryland)
Maryland Chapter Sierra Club
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
The Sierra Club was founded by John Muir, in California in 1892.
His goals were:
- To explore, enjoy, and render accessible the mountain regions of the Pacific Coast
- To publish authentic information concerning them, and
- To enlist the support and cooperation of the people and government in preserving the forest and other natural resources of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
One hundred years later, the Sierra Club has organized chapters across the United States and into Canada, applying these goals all natural areas, not just the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The only goal that has changed is the goal to render natural areas accessible, for “accessible” can mean the development and destruction against which the Club has fought.
Issue Areas – Action Issues
- SMART ENERGY & GLOBAL WARMING
- REDUCING TOXICS & WASTES
- TRANSPORTATION & LAND USE
- PROTECTING NATURAL PLACES
Student Name and Class Year: Danielle Seeley, MS ’13
Relevant blog posts:
If you are interested in getting in touch with this student/alum, please contact Caroline Ramaley, email@example.com