Policy Intern — Washington, D.C.
Job Title: Policy Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: Paid, 40 hours/week
Application Deadline: currently accepting applications for late January/early February.
Position Dates: 3-6 months, flexible
Posted On: Jan. 9, 2013
Oceana seeks a Policy Intern to work closely with the policy team in support of its advocacy work. The intern will assist on a variety of projects including writing, editing and researching. There may be opportunities to accompany staff to Congressional and Administration meetings, attend hearings, and network with other ocean advocates.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Political knowledge or experience, at local or federal level
- Excellent research, writing, and phone/email communication skills
- Great computer skills and experience managing databases
- Ability to work effectively in a team effort
- Energy, enthusiasm, and a strong desire to learn
- Ability to work independently on discrete projects
- Knowledge and interest in environmental and ocean issues
- Strong attention to detail
Oceana prefers that interns be available to work 40 hours a week for 3-6 months. This is a paid internship. Oceana accepts interns who receive academic credit for their internship. Both recent graduates and graduate students are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are reviewed periodically. Our internships do not always align with the academic calendar. Be aware that your cover letter is viewed as a writing sample and please highlight why your experience is a good fit for this position. Also include the dates you are available.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and a brief description of your interests to Oceana, via e-mail (email@example.com) subject line: Policy Internship and your name; fax (202-833-2070) or mail 1350 Connecticut Avenue NW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please.