Climate Intern — Bonn, Germany
Organization: ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
Job Title: Climate Intern
Location: Bonn, Germany
Hours and Compensation: full time with 880 € before tax and social insurance fees
Application Deadline: Jan. 31, 2013
Position Dates: Feb – August 2013
Posted On: Jan. 11, 2013
“ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability” is the world’s leading association of cities and local governments dedicated to sustainable development. ICLEI is a powerful movement of 12 mega-cities, 100 super-cities and urban regions, 450 large cities as well as 450 small and medium-sized cities and towns in 84 countries. ICLEI promotes local action for global sustainability and supports cities to become sustainable, resilient, resource-efficient, biodiverse, low-carbon; to build a smart infrastructure; and to develop an inclusive, green urban economy with the ultimate aim is to achieve healthy and happy communities.
ICLEI´s Global Climate Program focuses on 3 main action areas; mitigation, adaptation and advocacy. ICLEI also acts as the focal point of local government and municipal authorities constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, hosts the Secretariat of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change (WMCCC) and Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting (carbonn) that operates the carbonn Cities Climate Registry (cCCR). We work in a highly multicultural environment and in a truly global fashion with partners around the globe.
The successful candidate will be a part of the international team ICLEI World Secretariat based in Bonn, Germany and working within the team of the project “Promoting Low Emission Urban Development Strategies in Emerging Economy Countries”.
Within the scope of a multi-annual project focusing on promotion of low emission urban development strategies in cities of emerging economies (with model cities in Brazil, India. Indonesia and South Africa), including;
- Assisting the compilation, analysis and reporting of emissions of greenhouse gases at the local level, in particular focusing on database management and online services
- Supporting the general project implementation, including international communication, text writing and editing,
- Supporting the research of current issues of low emission development strategies in cities,
- Supporting the development and description of “solution packages” for low emission strategies,
- Contributing to the knowledge development and capacity building activities within the project and to the project reporting.
- A university degree in environmental science/ environment engineering, urban development/ urban infrastructure, statistics or similar,
- Strong skills in analytical thinking and writing,
- Strong skills in Excel, Access or other database management software tools
- Familiarity with website development and management
- Familiarity with GHG accounting and management methodologies, tools and online services is a strong asset,
- Familiarity with local planning and policy processes is a strong asset,
- Creative and pro-active attitude in team work,
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Portuguese, German, Hindu, Bahasa Indonesian is an asset
- Having a valid work permit for Germany or eligible to receive
- Available for the job as soon as possible in February 2013
How to Apply
By email to email@example.com or by fax to +49–228 / 97 62 99 01.
Please include “Climate Intern” in the subject line and send us:
– A letter of motivation
– A detailed CV
– Documents illustrating previous experience
– An indication of citizenship, (and if non-EU, whether holder of a work permit for Germany)
– Availability date
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.