Communications Intern — Silver Spring, MD
Job Title: Communications Intern
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Hours and Compensation: 20 hours/week minimum and unpaid
Application Deadline: rolling
Position Dates: flexible
Posted On: Jan. 11, 2013
SeaWeb, an international, nonprofit, communications organization dedicated to using the science of communications to convince people to take greater responsibility for ocean health.
SeaWeb has offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, London, Paris, Fiji and Papua New Guinea. SeaWeb is the only international, non-profit organization exclusively dedicated to using the science of communications to convince people to take greater responsibility for ocean health. We work collaboratively to inform and empower diverse ocean voices and conservation champions in strategic, targeted sectors to encourage market solutions, policies and behaviors that result
in a healthy thriving ocean. We transform knowledge into action by shining a spotlight on workable, science-based solutions to the most serious threats facing the ocean such as climate change, pollution and over-exploitation. Our Washington, D.C. office is located in Silver Spring, Maryland (within one block from the Silver Spring Metro station).
SeaWeb seeks an Intern to be based in the Washington, D.C. area office. The Intern will provide support to the communications team. This internship is a valuable opportunity for someone who is dedicated to improving ocean conservation and gaining experience working for a non-profit organization. Hours are flexible to accommodate class schedule or other commitments. We request a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week, and prefer someone who can work four days a week.
• Identify, capture, and archive relevant news items.
• Maintain various databases, including clips, press lists, and more.
• Help keep SeaWeb’s various websites updated through a CMS.
• Conduct research and organize data for various campaigns and initiatives.
• Assist in public relations distributions, including drafting press releases and assisting with press calls.
• Identify content for SeaWeb’s website and social media outlets, including multiple Facebook and Twitter pages.
• Update Facebook and Twitter Pages daily and increase external social media presence among targeted audiences.
• Assist with email communication outreach, including enewsletters.
• Assist in an image database maintenance project for the Marine Photobank.
• Research and recruit potential Marine Photobank contributing photographers.
• Assist in grant proposal writing and grant report writing
• Solid communication skills, including some experience with social media or public relations desirable.
• Ability to multi-task and manage time well.
• Commitment to environmental issues.
• Detail oriented and highly organized.
• A high school diploma is required. We are seeking a college student or recent college graduate who wants to experience working at an international nonprofit organization.
• Interest and experience in photography and video a plus.
• Knowledge of HTML or familiarity with CMS is desirable but not required.
• Experience of the Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to HR@seaweb.org and include “SeaWeb Communications Intern” in the email subject line. Please provide details about your work availability (including days and hours) in the cover letter.