Communications Associate — Venice, Italy
Organization: Climate Policy Initiative
Job Title: Communications Associate or Manager (based on experience
Location: Venice, Italy
Hours and Compensation: full time and salary based on experience
Application Deadline: Feb. 8, 2013
Posted On: Jan. 10. 2013
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an international analysis and advisory organization that examines the effectiveness of energy and climate policies around the globe. CPI evaluates policy and advises policymakers on the implementation of low-carbon growth plans and measures. The questions we tackle are among the most important in the world. In seeking to deliver practical answers to these questions, we work with government leaders, the private sector, and other experts and academia. We are headquartered in San Francisco and have offices in Beijing, Berlin, Hyderabad, Jakarta, Venice, and Rio de Janeiro.
CPI is looking for a skilled and dynamic Communications Associate or Communications Manager to support its Communications Director in implementing the organization’s global communications strategy. The position will be based in Venice, Italy and will have a particular emphasis on CPI’s European and climate finance operations. The Communications Associate or Manager will report to the Communications Director based in San Francisco.
Strong candidates will demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, a proven interest in climate change, policy analysis, or finance, and an ability to translate technical knowledge into clear, concise, and accessible insights for policymakers. Strong candidates will also demonstrate comfort working in a challenging environment that requires independent thinking as well as collaboration with operations and research team members and professional interactions with public and private sector stakeholders.
- Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Support the Communications Director in implementing the internal and external European and global communications strategies for CPI.
- Support the writing, editing, and review process for work products from CPI’s European and global offices, including analytical papers, presentations, blog posts, and opinion editorials targeted at multiple global audiences – including policymakers, finance leaders, and heads of state.
- Develop and carry out integrated external communications strategies and plans for individual CPI projects, including meetings with decision-makers and influencers, event and speaking opportunities, media outreach, webinars, blogs, and other channels of communication.
- Support the development of CPI’s thought leadership program by researching and pursuing opportunities for speaking engagements, opinion editorial pieces, blogs, and more to highlight and promote the ideas of CPI staff on the topics of green growth, climate finance, and policy effectiveness; train and prepare research team on presentation skills.
- Assist the Communications Director and the European Director in developing and managing stakeholder relations with policymakers, influencers, media representatives, global CPI staff, contractors, and vendors.
- Monitor and track policy developments and activity in Europe and CPI’s other priority regions to help CPI’s Executive Team focus analysis on key, relevant policy issues.
- Help manage the upkeep and development of CPI’s website, including content development and the pursuit and integration of new social media platforms, such as YouTube and Twitter.
- Support the design and layout of CPI products.
- Work with the European and other regional offices to manage CPI’s brand, on and offline.
- Assist with other communications activities as needed, including event planning, publicity, and design.
- Commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- BS or BA required with coursework in journalism, English, or other writing-intensive subject. Master’s degree a plus.
- At least 3 years experience in a communications role (could include work in communications strategy, journalism, public affairs, social media, political campaigns, public relations, etc.).
- Technical knowledge of climate policy and/or finance.
- At least 2 years experience providing counsel to clients on communications issues.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; superb editing skills, with the ability to restructure as well as copy edit.
- Experience writing in a variety of formats – web, print publications, briefing papers, press releases, etc.
- Willingness to tackle technical material and proven ability to translate complex qualitative and quantitative analyses into accessible language for expert and non-technical audiences.
- Superb attention to detail, strong organizational, project management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and on tight deadlines.
- Flexibility, professionalism, poise, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to maintain a sense of humor and interact with a diverse array of people.
- Fluent in Italian, German, Portuguese, or Chinese.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suites, CMS, or HTML.
- Experience working in service to a broad range of clients and stakeholders.
- Background or understanding of European climate policy, climate finance, or work with multinational institutions.
- Public affairs or government relations experience.
- Experience pitching, networking with, and responding to reporters/bloggers/media.
- Project and event management experience.
- Proficiency in filming and editing video.
- Start-up experience.
How to Apply
TO APPLY Using the link below, please submit your application including cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and recent writing samples. All materials should be in English. No phone calls, please.