Program Officer — Washington, D.C.
Organization: ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
Job Title: Program Officer, Renewable Energy Division
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: full time – $45-55,000
Application Deadline: Feb. 8, 2013
Posted On: Jan. 20, 2013
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is the premier network of sustainability leaders, with more than 1,000 local government members around the world. ICLEI provides leading-edge tools, trainings, and technical guidance to help cities and counties meet their climate, energy, and sustainability goals. ICLEI serves as a gateway to solutions, and helps local governments learn from one another and share best practices. ICLEI’s mission is to build, serve and drive a movement of local governments to advance deep reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and achieve tangible improvements in local sustainability. Learn more at www.icleiusa.org.
The Program Officer will deliver ICLEI’s renewable energy activities under the direction of the Renewable Energy Program Director. This position will work with fellow staff to further ICLEI’s repertoire of tools, resources, and information that are provided to ICLEI’s national membership to assist them with meeting their sustainability goals. Initial focus will be on efforts to help communities throughout the United States remove barriers in their local solar energy markets through work on the US Department of Energy’s SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership.
This is a full-time position funded under the Solar America Communities grant with the potential to become a permanent position based on future funding.
- Assist local governments in the identification and development of policies, programs and practices to reduce GHG emissions through implementation of clean energy solutions
- Represent ICLEI and its members at meetings and conferences
- Work with Renewable Energy Program Director to coordinate and monitor activities of ICLEI’s partner organizations.
- Maintain an active knowledge of renewable energy, energy policy, and other relevant areas
- Deliver ICLEI’s renewable energy resources to local government officials and their stakeholders.
- Recruit new jurisdictions to participate in ICLEI’s campaigns and initiatives
The ideal applicant will possess advanced knowledge of or experience working with local governments on the topics of energy and/or sustainability initiatives, particularly of solar energy. ICLEI prefers candidates who hold an advanced degree in a technical, planning or policy-related field and have at least two years of work experience in energy/climate, planning, transportation, waste, urban environmental issues, or related fields OR who hold BA/BS degree and possess five years of relevant experience. Applicant must possess excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, communications, and writing skills; be able to work independently as well as collaboratively; and be willing to travel, as necessary (approximately 25%). Ideal applicants will possess knowledge of local and regional planning and politics.
Ideal experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Strong relationship-building skills and political sensitivity for working effectively with local government staff, funding staff, and elected officials;
- Work with/for local governments and/or national environmental non-profit organizations on local renewable energy issues, particularly solar energy;
- Demonstrated experience maintaining systems to monitor projects and resource expenditures;
- Demonstrated public speaking experience and strong writing skills;
- Experience in workshop development and leading training sessions;
- Ability to work with a high level of independence.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resumé, and up to three writing samples to: email@example.com. Please include “SAC Program Officer” in the subject field.