Care2 Advocacy and Editorial Internship — Redwood City, CA
Job Title: Advocacy and Editorial Internship
Location: Redwood City, California.
Hours and Compensation: Dates and hours of the internships are flexible. The internship pays $10 per hour and does not provide benefits.
Application Deadline: open
Position Dates: flexible
Posted On: Jan. 22, 2013
With more than 21 million members, Care2 is the Internet’s largest social network for people who want to make a difference. Thousands of new members joinCare2 every day, attracted by our progressive values and commitment to advancing social justice, protecting our planet and leading healthier lives. Our mission is to empower Care2 members to take action so that they can help “make a difference.”
Care2 is hiring creative and ambitious Advocacy and Editorial Interns to join our campaign team based in Redwood City, California.
If you are a strong writer, savvy about social networking, passionate about nonprofit issues, comfortable with HTML and web graphic production, and enjoy promoting progressive issues and engaging with an online community on issues ranging from environmental to consumer protection, human rights to animal welfare, then Care2 is the place for you.
Interns learn valuable job skills and gain knowledge about the nonprofit sector, social networking web sites, online advocacy and fundraising, while also sharpening their writing and editorial skills.
- Support the Care2 campaign team’s efforts to provide fast and high-quality advocacy, membership recruitment and fundraising campaigns for nonprofit clients
- Research progressive legislation in Congress and urgent advocacy topics, monitoring breaking news, blogs and content partner sites daily for compelling campaigns;
- Write and copy edit Care2 action alerts, blog posts, and success stories;
- Monitor social media outlets to better understand how users are talking about and using Care2, and for which issues people are passionate about;
- Communicate with Care2 activist petition authors to help them promote their petitions;
- Have fun making the world a better place!
To make the internship a rewarding experience, the intern will work with the Care2 advocacy and editorial teams to develop and take the lead on a semester-long project that fits their unique skills and interests, above and beyond the daily tasks assigned.
- Student actively enrolled in coursework and seeking to complete school internship credit in a relevant field (such as journalism, marketing, political science, women’s studies, environmental studies, public policy). Recent graduates are also invited to apply.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of social networks and social media tools including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and Digg.
- Proficiency in HTML and web graphics production using Adobe Photoshop and/or ImageReady.
- Knowledge of basic office programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Enthusiasm for Care2’s nonprofit issues and progressive campaigns.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and persuasive writing sample email@example.com specify “Advocacy and Editorial Internship” in the subject line. Care2 is an equal opportunity employer.