Executive Director — Seattle, WA
Organization: Washington Wild
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Seattle, WA
Hours and Compensation: $55-60,000
Application Deadline: Feb. 28, 2013
Posted On: Jan. 28, 2013
Founded in 1979 as Washington Wilderness Coalition, Washington Wild brings people together in the vigorous defense of Washington State’s remaining wild forests, waters and wildlife habitat. We believe that public lands are a public issue. By educating, empowering and mobilizing our communities, Washington Wild builds powerful grassroots networks that help protect wild lands and waters throughout the state.
Washington Wild is seeking an experienced and dynamic leader with demonstrated commitment to wilderness and wild lands conservation to serve as its next Executive Director. Washington Wild is widely viewed as a leader in the conservation community of Washington State. The new Executive Director will work with our dedicated staff and Board of Directors to grow organizational capacity to support the next generation of wild lands and waters conservation.
- Review and implement the strategic plan, developing strategies and benchmarks to measure achievement of goals.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop policies that ensure strong oversight and accountability for the organization.
- Work with a highly motivated staff to maintain good communications across program areas that create operational efficiency and program effectiveness.
- Develop and manage budgets that promote sustainability of the organization.
- Develop financial reporting tools that help the Board to make timely business decisions.
- Manage a mix of unrestricted and restricted funds from a variety of sources, including grants, contracts, members and donors, and maintain internal fiscal controls for accountability.
- Develop a culture of philanthropy with the Board that improves fundraising outcomes.
- Leading the Conservation Director and the Membership and Communications Director, expand grant funding.
- Work with Membership and Communications Director to grow major gifts campaign.
- Work with Conservation Director to develop and sustain public/private partnerships and coalitions.
- Grow organizational capacity, programs and systems.
- Develop an integrated technology plan to strengthen business operations.
- Work with the Conservation Director advocating to elected and appointed government officials on conservation issues.
- Grow Outreach and Education programs to involve the next generation in wild spaces advocacy
Our Ideal Candidate will have the following experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, Environmental Studies/Conservation, or related field, or comparable relevant work experience, advanced degree preferred;
- 5+ years executive level leadership experience in a non-profit or public organization;
- Commitment to wild lands conservation and Washington Wild’s mission;
- Strategic vision, with ability to inspire others;
- Experience working with a Board of Directors to grow capacity and leadership;
- Strong fiscal and grant management skills;
- Strong budget development skills, with experience handling and growing operational budgets of $350,000 – $500,000 a plus;
- Strong grant writing skills, successful Pacific NW Conservation grant writing record a plus;
- Strong fundraising skills, with a proven record of successful major gifts campaign;
- Experience with public policy advocacy, preferably on conservation issues;§Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including conflict resolution skills; and
- Collaborative and inclusive leadership style; excel in building leadership skills among staff.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2013.