Ecosystem Services Research Internship — Seattle, WA
Job Title: Ecosystem Services Research Internship
Location: Seattle, WA
Hours and Compensation: unpaid – 15-25 hours/week
Application Deadline: Feb. 15, 2013 or until filled
Position Dates: Feb. 2013 (flexible) minimum 10 week commitment
Posted On: Jan. 29, 2013
Forterra fills a unique and important niche as the largest conservation and community building organization dedicated solely to Washington State. As a national leader, Forterra is shaping a future that will flourish environmentally and economically. We partner with thousands of leaders and residents across the Northwest to create healthy, livable, and prosperous communities. For over 20 years, Forterra has led efforts to restore critical landscapes and conserve more than 172,000 acres of forests, farms, shorelines, parks, and natural areas.
This internship position supports the Stewardship team at Forterra, working on the Ecosystem Service Benefits of Urban Forests program, specifically focusing on stormwater benefits. The intern will gain knowledge and skills in ecosystem service valuation and markets, municipal urban policy, and urban forestry research methods. Possible opportunities exist to increase proficiency in MS Access and Excel, Adobe InDesign, ArcGIS, and i-Tree software.
- Conduct a targeted literature review and exploration into the nexus between urban forests and stormwater.
- Construct a gap analysis of missing site-specific science needed for accurate assessment of forest impacts on constructed water systems.
- Conduct a policy analysis of similar municipalities and their methods for utilizing forests as a component of water systems.
- Produce reports, fact sheets, and other materials that will be utilized by regional non-profits, municipalities, and the public.
- Junior standing in college or higher. Graduates are encouraged to apply;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, as well as work within a team;
- Attention to detail and ability to thoroughly proof-read own work;
- Enthusiasm for public urban greenspace;
- Interest in ecosystem services and environmental valuation methods.
How to Apply
Please apply online at our careers page. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Priority application deadline is February 15, 2013.