Forestry Intern – Brunswick, ME
Organization: Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences
Job Title: Forestry Intern
Location: Brunswick, ME
Hours and Compensation: Full-time, temporary (6-9 months). Compensation is hourly, commensurate with skills and experience.
Application Deadline: As soon as possible.
Posted On: January 31, 2013
Organization Overview: Learning how to live sustainably on a planet with finite resources is the greatest challenge humans have ever faced. At Manomet, we know people can live sustainably, if we can transform how we use and conserve resources. For over 40 years, we’ve created lasting solutions by using science and partnerships to bring together diverse perspectives and values to solve problems for the long term. Manomet is a nonprofit and non-advocacy organization. We have about 40 scientists and support staff working from the north slope of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. In a divisive world, we invite you to come and be part of a vibrant team who are building sustainability solutions for agriculture, conservation, forestry, and businesses.
The Forestry Intern is an integral member of the Natural Capital Initiative team, focused on an exciting project in climate change adaptation and mitigation using urban and community forests in Maine. Partners include local land trusts, land planners, and municipal foresters. The position reports to the Natural Capital Initiative Director and is located in Brunswick, ME.
- Conduct analysis of literature to assess how trees and urban/community forests can and do reduce climate change risks to infrastructure and human health, and improve quality of life.
- Assist with data analysis to assess climate change vulnerability and mitigation options using i-Tree software.
- Prepare semi-technical reports and management plans based on results.
- Organize a land trust half-day workshop on project.
- MS/MA in Forestry or related subject;
- Related work experience;
- Good project management, interpersonal, teaming, and communication skills, especially semi-technical writing skills and presentation skills;
- Experience with collecting and analyzing timber inventory data;
- Must be able to use computers and software (MS Word, Excel, ArcGIS);
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders;
- Experience with forest management planning;
- Knowledge of northeastern forests and tree species;
- Possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record; and
- Ability to read a map, use a compass and GPS and to travel off trails, on rugged terrain.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Ability to lead and motivate others;
- Creativity in problem solving;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Ability to initiate and follow through on projects;
- Good time-management abilities;
- Effective speaking and listening skills; and
- Strong work ethic.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter as attachments to email@example.com. Please reference Forestry Intern in the subject line. The position is available immediately and applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible.
Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences, 125 Manomet Point Road, Plymouth, MA 02360
Forestry Intern Posting – http://www.manomet.org/about/job-opportunities/forestry-intern