Environmental Specialist – Forest Hills, NY
Job Title: Environmental Specialist
Location: Forest Hills, NY
Hours & Compensation: 40 hours per week
Position Dates: Full-time, temporary
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
Posted On: December 9, 2012
Description: The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) of the Department of Homeland Security has immediate openings for temporary positions in all 5 boroughs of New York City. Other similar positions to help with Hurricane Sandy relief can be located on the Hurricane Sandy Job Bank.
- Reviews and implements environmental and historic preservation laws, executive orders, regulations, standards, policies, and guidelines for Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funded activities.
- Determines the applicable level of National Environmental Policy Act review and prepares related documents.
- Assists in ensuring compliance for FEMA funded activities with environmental and historic preservation laws and executive orders, including, among others: Endangered Species Act, National Historic Preservation Act, Clean Water Act, Coastal Zone Management Act, Coastal Barrier Resources Act, and Executive Orders 11988 (Floodplains), 11990 (Wetlands), and 12898 (Environmental Justice).
- Serves as a technical specialist, providing advice and assistance to FEMA program staff, state emergency management staff, Tribal, state, local governments, and eligible private non-profit entities for development, execution, and monitoring of environmental and historic preservation requirements.
- Performs or oversees program administration work, such as technical project monitoring and evaluations, to meet environmental and historic preservation responsibilities.
- Analyzes a wide range of environmental, floodplain, historic preservation, scientific, technical, management, engineering, socio-economic, and legal issues for all FEMA’s programs.
- Serves as Environmental and Historic Preservation advisor, crew leader, or specialist for declared disasters.
- Degree in environmental science, biological sciences, or related field
- Knowledge of historic preservation and environmental laws, executive orders, and regulations and ability to independently work with a wide variety of entities to ensure programs’ continued compliance and enforcement of those historic preservation and environmental laws, executive orders, and regulations. This experience may be described as experience with historic preservation and environmental laws, orders, and regulations; evaluating program operations and goals to recommend programmatic and creative solutions to problems; leading, managing, and prioritizing work to accomplish program and project objectives; and communicating verbally, in writing, and in graphics.
- Experience managing personnel and work assignments
- Strong computer skills (ability to use MS Office programs, web-interface mapping programs, or databases)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
- You must pass a background fingerprint/security check.
- You may be required to work 12 hour shifts….up to 7 days a week.
- You must provide two forms of ID: such as a VALID Driver License (We will not accept if expired), Social Security Card, Birth Certificate etc. or Passport.
How to Apply: To apply, email your resume to FEMA-HR-DR4085-LocalHirt@FEMA.DHS.GOV with ‘Environmental Specialist-EHP’ in the subject line.
FEMA Region II, 118-35 Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, NY 11375