Environmental Services Intern – Brooklyn, NY
Organization: The Human Impacts Institute
Position Title: Environmental Services Intern
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Hours & Compensation: 3 months, minimum commitment of 20 hours/week, with preference given to applicants who can commit 30-40 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: For summer term interns, start May 10. For fall term interns, start September 10.
Application Deadline: Applicants should apply at least one month in advance of desired start date. Summer term applications are due March 29, 2013 by midnight.
Posted On: February 10, 2013
The mission of the Human Impacts Institute is to foster sustainable human impacts on ecosystems through inspired engagement, leadership, collaboration, knowledge-building and creative expression. We promote healthy community development by connecting communities through a shared awareness of, and accountability for, the natural environment.
Using NYC as a laboratory, the Human Impacts Institute connects global communities in resource sharing and environmental awareness. Our program participants commit to conscious environmental decision-making, take responsibility for their environmental impacts and are dedicated to long-term solutions through:
* Experiential Education –participants practice leadership through hands-on problem solving and community service;
* Collaborative Partnerships –organizations unite through resource sharing, joint advocacy, and idea development;
* Creative Expression –individuals use culture and art to inspire others to engage in environmental issues and solutions.
The Human Impacts Institute Internship program provides an active learning environment for college students and mid-career professionals.
Our Environmental Services Intern will provide businesses, organizations, schools and other Human Impacts Institute partners with resources on how to reduce their overall emissions, negative impacts on community health, and to increase their community support, while saving money and increasing their community involvement. Interns will be trained as environmental consultants and will mentor other students and stakeholders in sustainability options in their community. Interns will also analyze the economic and social impacts of sustainability measures being implemented by program participants.
- Strong preference given to applicants who can receive college credit or occupational training credits
- International applicants and mid-career professional looking to expand their knowledge of environmental work are welcome.
- Expressed interest in environmental issues, education, policy development, research, coalition building, and/or not-for-profit organizational work.
- Self-motivated, extremely organized, independent, open communicators, creative.
- Excellent research skills
- Highly adaptable to different types of projects, atmospheres, and interactions
How to Apply:
- Current resume
- Introductory letter, including: Why you want to work with HII; The specific internship you are applying to; and your specific expertise/interests relating to that internship.
- Two reference contacts.
- One paragraph with an original idea for a creative project you’d like to do at HII.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and applicants will be notified of interviews shortly after their application.
Tara De Porte, Executive Director and Founder, Tara@HumanImpactsInstitute.org
Human Impacts Institute, www.humanimpactsinstitute.org
312 South 3rd St., #7
Brooklyn, NY 11211