Program Director – Tbilisi, Georgia
Organization: Caucasus Nature Fund (CNF)
Position Title: Program Director
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia, with frequent travel to Yerevan, Armenia and Baku, Azerbaijan.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. CNF is committed to providing a competitive and fair pay packafge that takes accoun tof the responsibilities of the position and the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2013
Posted On: February 8, 2013
The Caucasus Nature Fund (CNF) is a Paris based non-profit working to support the Protected Areas (PAs) of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. CNF works in partnership with the governments and provides support through matching grants, covering operating costs such as salaries, vehicles, equipment and renewal and maintenance of park facilities. We are seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to direct CNF’s grant program in the South Caucasus.
The Program Director is responsible for the overall direction, administration and implementation of CNF’s program in cooperation with the responsible ministries and under the supervision of CNF’s European-based Executive Director and Board of Directors. He/she will provide measurable inputs to develop and ensure the delivery of the activities of CNF’s grant and program strategy. He/she will manage the national coordinators in Georgia and Armenia and supervise the program execution and monitoring.
1. Program Development and Management
- Development and expansion of the CNF grant program in the South Caucasus with the aim of increasing the number of protected areas where operating costs are supported, coordinating the development of management plans, and capacity building in coordination with government and conservation partners.
- Build a program that ensures efficient allocation of grant resources, resulting in measurable improvement in management efficiency in the protected areas, integrating long-term planning and budgeting, standardization of procedures, and protection and improvement of biodiversity in the region.
- Management of the yearly program and budgets cycle.
In cooperation with the national coordinators:
- work with the governments’ financial staffs for program budget preparation, monitoring, and reporting activities; guarantee the financial integrity and accountability of project budgets;
- ensure that effective cooperation with program audits, and audit recommendations are implemented in a timely manner;
- advise governments on protected areas management issues.
2. Strategy Implementation
- Contribute to defining the direction of CNF overall program and goals.
- Provide leadership and overall direction and coordination for all protected area conservation activities in the 3 South Caucasus countries that CNF supports.
3. Partnership Development, Fundraising, and Networking
- Actively seek to build strategic alliances with other NGOs, international and national organizations, donors and other potential partners.
- Represent CNF at appropriate regional and regional and some international meetings and conferences.
- Expand regional fundraising program from corporate and individual donors and maintain relationships with current donors and partners.
- Provide program support to Development Manager and Executive Director in the development of proposals for fundraising from international organizations, corporations and individual donors.
4. Overall Management
- Ensure compliance with standards, both internal and external, for all projects and conservation activities.
- Recommend to the Executive Director any changes that might be required to develop or improve the organization.
- Provide inputs to communications products/campaigns to ensure accurate information will be published to promote the image of the organization and its conservation activities.
- Lead the development, monitoring, review and update of activity work plan to ensure that the organization attains its objectives as cost-effectively as possible.
5. People management
- Responsible as direct line manager of national program coordinators by reviewing individual work plan, managing performance, providing training, coaching and advice to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and that staff deliver the performance objectives.
- Recruitment and selection of program staff and consultants in cooperation with the Executive Director.
6. Issue Resolutions, Crisis/Risk Management
- Responsible for risk and crisis management and act as focal person to manage program related crisis and risks when necessary.
7. Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of CNF’s program.
- Coordinate the timely writing, approval and submission of reports to partners (internal and external) to ensure compliance with reporting requirements.
- Provide regular program reports and analysis to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Master’s degree or higher in business administration, business management, environmental economics or related fields
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Meaningful experience in the leadership and management of a team
- Experience working in the region; fluency in spoken Russian
- Understanding of development partnerships, donor strategies, governmental and international relations
- Managing a program funded by a diversity of sources including governments and aid agencies, private sector donors
- Experience in developing, implementing and monitoring and evaluating action plans
Skills pertinent to:
- policy development, advocacy and negotiation, especially in areas related to conservation
- appreciating and reconciling conflicting interests;
- meeting statutory requirements
- problem solving and management of crises, conflicts and risk;
- monitoring and evaluation and financial management
How to Apply: Send your application in writing, including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday, March 29, 2013. It is expected that a first round of telephone interviews will be held in April 2013.
Main Office: 54 rue de Clichy, 75009 Paris, France
Georgia Office: CNF-Georgia, 74 Burdzgia Street, Office N 4, 0194 Tbilisi, Georgia