Research Intern – Washington, D. C.
Organization: World Resources Institute
Position Title: Research Intern
Location: Washington, D. C.
Hours & Compensation: 20 hrs/wk. $11-$14/hour, commensurate with qualifications.
Position Dates: Start as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: As soon as possible.
Posted On: February 15, 2013.
The World Resources Institute (WRI), an environmental think tank promoting practical ways to protect the earth and improve people’s lives, seeks a Managing Director for our expanding liaison office in Mumbai, India. Founded in 1982, WRI marries bold long term vision to concrete action. It is staffed by pragmatic idealists who provide cutting edge thinking on a broad range of environmental and global sustainability issues. Currently a $40 million organization with an international staff of approximately 250 working with more than 400 partners in 50 countries, WRI provides objective information and practical proposals for policy and institutional change that will foster environmentally sound, socially equitable development.
The World Resources Institute,
a research and policy organization focusing on the intersection of the environment and socio-economic development, seeks a full- or part-time intern with excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills to assist in its President’s Office. This position is best suited to a current student or recent graduate in environment, energy, and/or development studies or communications. Demonstrated interest and coursework in environmental topics is a plus.
WRI’s Office of the President works with leaders in government, business, and the non-profit community to forge alliances that further the Institute’s work; with media to spread WRI’s messages; and internally with staff on the development of programming.
This internship is a mix between research and administrative support, providing assistance to the President’s team, including his Research Associate and Special Assistant. There is also potential for supporting or leading special projects on an as-needed basis. This is an opportunity to gain work experience at one of the world’s leading environment and development organizations, and to gain exposure to a broad array of topics, including climate change, environmental governance, sustainable transport and business, forests and ecosystems, and sustainable development.
We are looking for a local candidate who can begin immediately and work approximately 15-20 hours per week. Specific days and hours are flexible, and can be arranged to accommodate an academic schedule.
- Prepare briefing materials, and generally assist the President in preparing for meetings
- Research background data for blogs, papers, editorials, and other communications
- Assist with the creation of presentation materials for speaking engagements
- Assist with calendar management, travel plans, and expense tracking for the President
- Additional tasks and special projects as needed
- Ideal candidate will be studying or recently completed an undergraduate/graduate degree in environmental studies, development studies, or communications
- Strong analytical and research capabilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written English
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook and PowerPoint
- Can work well under pressure and juggle multiple assignments
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Resourceful and dependable
- Friendly, positive demeanor and determined attitude
How to Apply: Apply at www.wri.org/careers. No phone calls please.
World Resources Institute, http://www.wri.org
10 G Street NE, Suite 800, Washington, D.C. 20002
Job URL: http://www.wri.org/careers