Director of Policy – Washington, DC
Organization: Climate Advisers
Position Title: Director of Policy
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Base salary that slightly exceeds those provided by traditional climate advocacy and research organization, supplemented by profit-dependent variable compensation that makes the total package competitive with other climate policy opportunities in the private sector. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Immediate.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2013.
Climate change poses serious economic, security, and environmental risks. The science is clear and prompt action is essential. Working together, the world can solve the climate crisis and do so by means that promote economic growth, enhance international security, protect the natural world, and enrich socially responsible companies. But success depends on developing the right strategies, policy frameworks, investments, and partnerships.
That is where we come in. Founded in 2008, Climate Advisers has rapidly become a leading mission-driven, full-service consulting firm focusing on climate and energy policy. Its mission is to help clients and partners halt climate change in ways that further the public interest and improve their return on investment. Working globally but headquartered in Washington, DC, Climate Advisers specializes in U.S. climate change policy, international climate cooperation, global carbon markets, and climate-related forest conservation. Over the past several years Climate Advisers has carried out important original research, convened leading climate change stakeholders, forged new political coalitions, mobilized new voices for climate action, and advised senior policy makers in the Obama Administration and Congress. Its supporters and partners include leading national governments, international financial institutions, companies, think tanks, philanthropic foundations, conservation organizations, and climate advocacy groups.
Climate Advisers, a leading mission-driven climate policy and advocacy consulting firm, is hiring a policy director with the senior-level political network, strategic vision, and winning attitude required to accelerate climate action. Working with the firm’s diverse clients and implementation partners (including several of the world’s leading philanthropies, most effective non-profit organizations, globally important socially responsible corporations, and strongest climate champions in U.S. and foreign governments), the Director of Policy will develop, launch, and implement high-impact projects designed to build U.S. and global political will to tackle climate change. The Director will be based in Washington, DC and report directly to the President/CEO of the firm.
This position offers an opportunity for the successful candidate to marshal existing networks of policy makers and opinion leaders to achieve big climate results with a high degree of independence in a collegial and nimble organization. We seek someone with tact, poise, confidence, and interpersonal savvy. We desire someone capable of gently taking command of a meeting with senior policymakers and elites—through the quality of their ideas, the strength of their oral presentation and the depth of their relationships. We seek a leader who can create consensus in complex and diverse coalitions. The successful candidate will be someone who cares deeply about international climate action, and believes the U.S. has a vital role to play in forging solutions.
- Developing and executing the firm’s political strategies, including policymaker outreach and lobbying.
- Serving as a primary point of contact for engaging national and international opinion makers, including the candidate’s own network of government officials, Capitol Hill staff, business executives, NGO leaders, journalists, political donors, think tank leaders, and other power brokers.
- Designing, securing funding for, and implementing new politically-relevant climate advocacy projects.
- Truly exceptional record of achievement
- Extensive existing network of senior policymakers and opinion leaders to mobilize in support of climate action
- Prior government service or other experiences that provide exceptional understanding of how the Executive Branch and Congress operate
- Ability to convene, mediate and facilitate discussions among senior stakeholders
- Exceptional collaborative style and communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Excels with rapidly changing political circumstances, client priorities and business opportunities
- Comfort working in a small, non-traditional organization
- A passion for climate policy and action
- Demonstrated flexibility in problem-solving and ability to surge when projects demand
- Demonstrated success and proven results advancing policy objectives through strategic outreach, lobbying and engagement
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and enjoys building relationships with diverse groups and individuals
- Willingness to register as a lobbyist, as needed
- Five to ten years practical experience advancing climate, forest, or clean energy-related policy objectives through strategic engagement with federal policymakers and constituents
- Masters or other advanced degree preferred, bachelor degree considered if candidate has exceptionally high-level climate policy experience and political network
- Prior government experience preferred
- Strong preference given to graduates of highly competitive programs in political science, international relations, law, economics or environmental studies
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Policy Director – LAST NAME”.
Climate Advisers, http://www.climateadvisers.com