Environmental Planning Student Intern – Kansas City, MO
Organization: Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
Position Title: Environmental Planning Student Intern
Location: Kansas City, MO
Hours & Compensation: Up to 20 hrs/wk throughout the academic year. $13/hours.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Posted On: February 8, 2013
Some issues reach across the boundaries of individual communities. Often they can only be addressed by working together.
The Mid-America Regional Council promotes regional cooperation and develops innovative solutions. We help create a community people are proud to call home.
MARC is a nonprofit association of city and county governments and the metropolitan planning organization for the bistate Kansas City region. Governed by a board of local elected officials, we serve nine counties and 119 cities.
We provide a forum for the region to work together to advance social, economic and environmental progress.
MARC is funded by federal, state and private grants, local contributions and earned income. A major portion of our budget is passed through to local governments and other agencies for programs
- Assist professional staff in researching and providing public education on a variety of issues related to smart growth, water quality, urban forestry, and green infrastructure conservation.
- Support meetings of the water quality public education committee
- Represent MARC at community events to share water quality information with the public
- Policy research
- Grant management
- Writing case studies of best practices
- GIS analysis using new regional land cover data
- Surveys of local governments
- Current student enrolled in a bachelor/master’s level program or have graduated from a bachelor/master’s level program within the past six months
- Educational and/or past work experience must be in urban planning, environment, geography, public administration, or a related field.
- Experience in environmental studies is preferred.
- Good research, analytical and writing skills are necessary.
- Occasional weekend or evening event work may be required.
- Valid driver’s license required.