National Campaigns Director – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Alliance for Biking and Walking
Position Title: National Campaigns Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Compensation relative to experience starting at $50,000 plus health and retirement benefits.
Application Deadline: March 25, 2013.
Posted On: February 28, 2013.
The Alliance for Biking & Walking is the only national organization that trains, assists, empowers and strengthens community leaders and their organizations to transform communities through better bicycling and walking. With more than 200 state and local bicycle and pedestrian organizations employing hundreds of professionals in nearly every city and state, our people powered movement is transforming communities and the country.
The Alliance for Biking & Walking creates, strengthens and unites state/province and local bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations.
Every community benefits from the fun, practicality and efficiency of biking and walking. In 2020, one-third of all trips in North America will be made by bicycling and walking for all reasons ranging from personal health and environmental sustainability, to economic necessity and moral responsibility.
The Alliance engages individuals in a collaborative and entrepreneurial environment. As an organization working to share best practices with our member organizations, we aim to serve as role model. We exist to serve our member groups and our success is tied to their effectiveness.
The Alliance for Biking & Walking is working with the leaders of our member organizations to launch and coordinate campaigns in cities and states around the nation. These nationally coordinated campaigns will allow advocacy organizations around the country to share in research, messaging, materials, skill development and funding. The goal is to accelerate community improvements to increase bicycling and walking and improve safety while implementing models of advocacy that can be shared throughout our people powered movement.
The Alliance seeks a dynamic and seasoned campaign organizer who can provide leadership and direction for a new level of coordination between cities and states that will build the biking and walking movement. The National Campaigns Director will collaborate and coordinate with the leaders of our 20 or 30 largest state and local organizations on national campaigns, foster collaboration with national partners, and boost the capacity of our member organizations. The National Campaigns Director will be based at the Alliance’s Washington DC office and will report to the President/CEO.
- Facilitate and manage all aspects of national campaigns developed with input from the Alliance’s largest member organizations
- Manage contractors and consultants with needed expertise to develop, implement and evaluate national campaigns
- Work closely with the Advocacy Advance Team, comprised of Alliance and League of American Bicyclists staff, on campaigns to increase funding for biking and walking infrastructure and programs
- Participate in fundraising for national campaigns and capacity development in coordination with the President/CEO and development staff of member organizations
- Work with Alliance staff on organizing database and tools related to national campaigns
- Work with the Communications Manager on campaign communications, marketing, and media
Member Organization Assistance
- Negotiate and manage contracts with expert consultants for pooled services or joint purchase agreements to benefit member organizations
- Facilitate or coordinate with consultants for strategic planning with member organizations
- Develop, coordinate, facilitate and evaluate campaign trainings for Alliance member organizations
- Develop and coordinate new training curriculum and help facilitate and evaluate trainings to strengthen organizational capacity of smaller staffed member organizations
- Help volunteer organizations use proper tools to become staffed organizations and track progress.
- Coordinate and facilitate focused discussion with membership organizations including State Organizations Caucus, Canadian Caucus, Executive Directors, and other groups as needed
- Assist the Communications Manager with programming input and facilitation of Mutual Aid Calls
- Assist in coaching and mentoring of medium and large organizations on advocacy and campaign strategies and effectiveness
- Assist staff to develop, compile, post and disseminate best practices, guides and other resources
- Several years of issue-based advocacy campaign experience including running campaigns in multiple communities and states
- Proven experience working on campaigns that have a national reach and have involved state-based and community organizations
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and a proven ability to identify and develop good organizing strategies and building coalitions
- Proven record of raising money for both local and national campaigns
- Proven record of developing and executing trainings
- Commitment and passion for active transportation
- Ability to work with diverse organizations and handle multiple demands
- Demonstrated effectiveness in using media
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Facilitation skills and experience
- Bachelors degree
How to Apply: Interested applicants should apply to Jeff Miller at applications@PeoplePoweredMovement.org with “National Campaigns Director” in the subject line, cover letter and resume. The final deadline for applications is 12 Noon EST, Monday, March 25th 2013. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis so candidates are encouraged to apply early. Finalists will be contacted for interviews.
Alliance for Biking and Walking, http://www.peoplepoweredmovement.org
PO Box 64150, Washington, D.C., 20035