Energy and Environment Fellow – Montpelier, VT
Organization: Regulatory Assistance Project (RAP)
Position Title: Energy and Environment Fellow
Location: Montpelier, VT
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Highly competitive salary/benefits combination commensurate with experience.
Position Dates: Two-year fellowship.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2013.
Posted On: January 28, 2013.
RAP is widely viewed as a source of innovative and creative thinking that yields practical solutions. We meet directly with government officials, regulators and their staffs; we lead technical workshops and training sessions; we conduct in-house research and we produce a growing volume of publications designed to better align energy regulation with economic and environmental goals.
The Energy and Environment Fellowship with the Regulatory Assistance Project (RAP) is a two- year position designed to provide the right candidate an opportunity to work with former utility and environmental regulators in developing insightful and effective policy responses to many of the key sustainability issues facing the energy sector today. Over the course of the internship, the E&E Fellow will have the opportunity to develop broad skill sets as well as deeper expertise in topics of his or her own choosing. The E&E Fellow helps build RAP’s knowledge and understanding of pertinent energy regulations, policies, and laws, as well as related issues, such as energy efficiency and carbon reduction strategies. The E&E Fellow supports RAP’s principals and associates in the US, China, India, and Europe, providing technical assistance on crafting and implementing energy policy, and also works closely with the research team in carrying out RAP’s work and preparing RAP’s publications. The fellowship provides the opportunity for additional professional growth through participation in regional and national events, trainings and conferences. The position is geared toward an individual with a strong sense of public service who plans to continue working in the energy field into the future.
- Conduct ongoing research on energy regulation including web-based and phone-based research.
- Write and edit a variety of documents, including research briefs and portions of papers.
- Collect and analyze energy policy information.
- Manage a variety of research and/or publications projects. Coordinate the work of consultants and other staff members as needed.
- Continue to update knowledge of technical, regulatory, and legal issues related to the electricity and natural gas sectors and climate policy.
- Regularly communicate research findings, progress, and issues to others at RAP. Post research material to RAP’s Intranet portal and work with staff to support workflow needs, internal and external communications, content management, and information delivery.
- An advanced degree in law, economics, engineering, environmental studies, international relations, public policy, business administration, or a related field.
- Experience working in an office environment for a minimum of two years.
- Excellent qualitative research skills as well as strong quantitative skills.
- Experience in fact-finding and analysis.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, strong organizational skills including attention to detail.
- The ability to analyze and summarize laws and legal documents.
- Significant interest in energy and environmental policy and regulation.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Skilled at navigating the Internet, proficiency in MS Office applications. Knowledge of SharePoint a plus.
- Self-motivated, directed, and dedicated to advancing the economic and environmental sustainability of the power sector.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
How to Apply: Please send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Human Resources, Regulatory Assistance Project, 50 State Street, Suite 3, Montpelier, VT 05602.
Regulatory Assistance Project (RAP), http://www.raponline.org
50 State Street, Suite 3, Montpelier, VT 05602
Job URL: http://www.raponline.org/about/jobs