BLM Program Intern – Lander, WY
Organization: Wyoming Wilderness Association
Position Title: BLM Program Intern
Location: Lander, WY
Hours & Compensation: $500 per month. Free housing is available.
Position Dates: 2-3 months in summer 2013.
Posted On: March 7, 2013.
The Wyoming Wilderness Association works to protect Wyoming’s public wild lands.
The BLM Program Intern will aid the BLM Outreach Coordinator during summer 2013. The intern will have the opportunity to gain field data collection and reporting experience while working on the BLM wild lands inventory project. The intern will also gain community outreach experience.
- Work to achieve administrative and congressional protections for BLM wild lands by assisting with the BLM wild lands inventory project and public/agency outreach.
- Write one Letter to the Editor regarding the protection of BLM wild places.
- Assist in the organization and execution of outreach events such as public educational outings, tabling at public events, and fundraising events.
- Assist staff working on other WWA campaigns when appropriate.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to hike and work in rugged terrain and harsh weather conditions during field work
- Ability to quickly learn new technology
- A sense of humor and friendly/outgoing personality
- General knowledge of public land use issues and cartography principles
- Exceptional navigation skills and extensive outdoor experience
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to efficiently work both as part of a team and independently with little supervision
- Immense appreciation for wilderness and wild places
- ArcGIS (beginner to intermediate skill level)
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, professionals, and policy makers regarding often controversial issues
- Familiarity with Wyoming conservation politics
- Coursework in natural resources, environmental sciences or policy, the sciences, geography, or a related field
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume and 3 references Jennie Trefren, BLM Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.