Preserve Manager – Bainbridge, OH
Organization: Arc of Appalachia Preserve System
Position Title: Preserve Manager
Location: Bainbridge, OH
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience. Housing on site is preserved and required.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2013.
Posted On: February 28, 2013.
The Arc of Appalachia manages a total of 5000 acres of natural areas in south central Ohio in fourteen different preserve regions. The Arc maintains three main visitation centers: Highlands Nature Sanctuary, Fort Hill, and Serpent Mound – the latter two sites in association with the Ohio Historical Society.
The non-profit Arc of Appalachia Preserve System is seeking a Preserve Manager to be in charge of daily operations, visitor services and maintenance of the largest of the Arc’s preserves, the 2100–acre Highlands Nature Sanctuary (HNS), which serves as the Arc of Appalachia’s headquarters. The Highlands Nature Sanctuary is a regionally significant natural area with rare plants and animals, and is a major visitor and education center. HNS’s public services include fourteen miles of hiking trails, a residential education center, cabin rentals for visitors, and the Appalachian Forest Museum. The central axis of the Highlands Nature Sanctuary is a remarkable geological and natural feature—a ten mile long limestone canyon known as the Rocky Fork Gorge.
- Maintenance & Repairs. Performs, supervises, and/or ensures proper maintenance of the Appalachian Forest Museum, the maintenance shop, landscaped grounds, and hiking trails at the Highlands Nature Sanctuary. Supervises facility maintenance and maintenance staff at Beechcliff Education Center and rental lodges. Coordinates and oversees major repair projects with appropriate contractors and available maintenance Arc colleagues.
- Volunteer Coordination. Welcomes, cultivates, coordinates, and helps train volunteers at HNS, including Museum hosts, trail volunteers, and invasive plant removal crews.
- Visitor Services. Greets visitors and oversees the overall quality of HNS visitor experience.
- Conservation Stewardship. Oversees and performs conservation tasks that advance the preservation and/or enhancement of HNS’s native biodiversity and the balance of its ecosystems.
- Supervision. Supervises staff members reporting to the Preserve Manager. Coordinates and communicates project details with Arc colleagues and volunteers.
- Education. Works as a team with other Arc staff members to ready HNS facilities for educational workshops and welcome registrants to events.
- Community Relationship-Building. Invests in local human resources to establish support networks and provide local win-win relationships for the community and the Arc.
- Special Projects and other duties as assigned. This could include, among other things, grant writing, real estate negotiation and closings, bio-inventories and writing projects—commensurate with employee’s skills and abilities in those areas.
- A minimum of a four year college degree or equivalent experience.
- Self-motivated, strong integrity, efficient worker, good problem solver.
- Skilled in planning work schedules and setting priorities.
- Experienced in supervision and communication skills; good with people.
- Interested in the missions of biodiversity preservation and nature education.
- Possesses a broad array of building and grounds maintenance and repair skills.
- Breadth of experiences and skills in motivating and coordinating people.
- Pride in keeping work areas and equipment organized, clean, and in top repair.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a formal resume or CV with contact information and email address, past employment records showing salary and wages earned and type of work performed, references, formal education, community services, and other relevant background experiences. Please include contact information for your employers. After sending this information, applicants will be directed to complete a skill survey ranking various talents.
Send your resume and other information as a Word document to Crystal Narayana at email@example.com. Questions about the job can be included in the cover email, or you can direct them in a separate email to Nancy Stranahan, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arc of Appalachia, http://www.arcofappalachia.org
Main Office: Highlands Nature Sanctuary, 7660 Cave Road, Bainbridge, OH 45612