International Climate & Air – India Intern – Austin, TX
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: International Climate & Air India Intern
Location: Austin, TX
Hours & Compensation: Full-time (35 hours/week). Academic credit only.
Position Dates: 10 week internship, ideally from May 20 – August 8, 2013.
Posted On: March 14, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
In India, EDF is working with a coalition of NGOs on the ground to implement low-carbon rural development projects that reduce emissions and increase incomes, while delivering a host of other social and environmental cobenefits. Working with farmers to improve water and soil management, reduce fertilizer use, promote multicropping, and replant native trees and shrubs, while also supporting the use of clean-burning biogas units and efficient woodstoves. As we look to expand this work across India, we need to have a solid understanding of the landscapes in which we would be working—which regions grow which crops, fertilizer use intensity, infrastructure available, population distribution, and numerous other indicators. This intern will be compiling and analyzing layers of such datasets, using GIS and/or other database systems to enable us to develop a strategy for expanding our work.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Use desktop research to compile data on land use, demographics, and other key indicators for regions in India
- Database design development and management
- Using GIS software to map and analyze data
- Develop report generators
- Graduate student preferred; undergraduate with strong technical background considered
- Demonstrated experience with database management (Microsoft Access / SQL), GIS
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Must be well-organized, motivated and detail oriented
- Excellent research and analytical skills
How to Apply: Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application, together with a sample of relevant work. Apply online at the EDF job site.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org