International Climate Intern – Land Use and Climate – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: International Climate Intern – Land Use and Climate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time (35 hours/week). Academic credit only.
Position Dates: 10 week internship, ideally from May 20 – August 8, 2013.
Posted On: March 14, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund’s International Climate Program seeks a summer 2013 intern in our Washington, D.C. office to assist in policy efforts to mitigate the contribution of land management to climate change. The intern will work with EDF’s Land Use and Climate Scientist to conduct research and analysis, develop policy proposals, and will help generate materials describing proposed approaches for a variety of audiences.
Tasks will include but are not be limited to:
- Compile data on life-cycle emissions of biomass used for energy and fuel production
- Research existing and potential policy approaches related to land-use issues
- Help prepare materials for non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to conduct literature reviews on land use, agriculture, bioenergy and forestry. Quantitative skills a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in agriculture or forestry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as to work independently
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
How to Apply: Interested applicants should attach their cover letter, resume, names of three references and a writing sample not edited by anyone other than the applicant to the EDF application. Apply online at the EDF job site.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org