International Climate Intern – Tropical Forest Protection – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Environmental Defense Fund
Position Title: International Climate Intern – Tropical Forest Protection
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time (35 hours/week). Academic credit only.
Position Dates: 10 week internship, ideally from May 20 – August 8, 2013.
Posted On: March 13, 2013.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
Environmental Defense Fund’s International Climate Program seeks a summer 2013 intern in our Washington, D.C. office to assist in developing mechanisms to mobilize private finance to provide substantial and secure long-term funding for forest-protection initiatives. The intern will work with EDF’s Chief Natural Resource Economist to conduct economic research, and help generate materials describing proposed approaches for a variety of audiences.
Tasks will include but are not be limited to:
- Compile data on economic returns to land use in tropical-forest nations
- Research existing and potential financial mechanisms
- Help prepare materials for non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative analysis
- Demonstrated interest in environmental economics and policy
- Highly proficient in MS Excel and Word
- Experience with statistical data-management software preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be well organized, motivated, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as to work independently
- Demonstrate initiative and problem solving skills
How to Apply: Interested applicants should attach their cover letter, resume, names of three references and a writing sample not edited by anyone other than the applicant to the EDF application. There is no formal deadline, but the position may be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified. Apply online at the EDF job site.
Environmental Defense Fund, http://www.edf.org