Clean Air Fellow – Philadelphia, PA
Organization: Clean Air Council
Position Title: Clean Air Fellow
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Hours & Compensation: 40 hours/week. Paid.
Position Dates: Mid-April through mid-August
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: March 19, 2013.
Clean Air Council is a member- supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone’s right to breathe clean air. The Council works through public education, community advocacy, and government oversight to ensure enforcement of environmental laws.
The Clean Air Council is looking for a full-time, temporary intern (mid-April through mid-August) to assist in organizing and advocacy around federal, state, and local issues of air quality. The Council is seeking a passionate candidate with at least one year of similar experience.
- Advocacy: Representing the interest of Council members to members of Congress from Pennsylvania. A successful legislative visit most likely requires a series of phone calls with the official’s office as well as reaching out to constituents (business owners, health experts) to join you in the meeting.
- Campaign Strategy: Strategizing on how to gain political support for the Council’s climate change priorities through research, coalition-building, and grassroots organizing.
- Media Outreach: Working on media events, news releases and editorial board meetings. Write, edit, pitch and publish letters to the editor and editorials in state, regional and local news mediums to promote the Council’s message on public health and climate change. It also entails reviewing Pennsylvania newspapers and on-line media for opportunities to respond to climate change issues.
- CoalitionBuilding: Reaching out to likeminded organizations to advance the Council’s climate change policy prorates.
- Event Planning: Creating special and/or media events.
- Prior experience working in a nonprofit, particularly in advocacy, helpful.
- Demonstrated project and people management ability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Independent and self-motivated, yet work well with others.
- Well-organized with solid time management skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Enthusiastic and interested in environmental issues.
How to Apply: Please send application and cover letter to email@example.com.
Clean Air Council, http://www.cleanair.org
135 South 19th Street, Suite 300, Philadelphia, PA 19103