Sustainability Specialist, Energy and Climate – Flagstaff, AZ
Organization: City of Flagstaff Sustainability Program
Position Title: Sustainability Specialist
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. $20.02 – $21.55/hour.
Application Deadline: March 22, 2013.
Posted On: March 19, 2013.
The Flagstaff Sustainability Program serves the community and municipal organization as a catalyst for economic, environmental and social sustainability through policy development, project implementation, leadership, and education.
Actively supports and upholds the City of Flagstaff’s stated mission and values. Employees of this classification are responsible for operational level decision making (decisions on carrying out the operations of the selected process.) Duties are heterogeneous (requiring varying knowledge, skills, and abilities) with a more complex degree of difficulty/diversity compared to other positions in the same grade. Under direction of the Sustainability Manager, employees of this class are expected to coordinate day-to-day operations of an assigned Sustainability Program (Energy and Climate or Community Sustainability.)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Assists with formulating and monitoring budget for assigned area of responsibility.
- Prioritizes day-to-day activities in order to reach goals and objectives of the program.
- Coordinates the strategic implementation and evaluation of the Municipal Sustainability Plan.
- Makes recommendations to supervisor regarding operational procedures.
- Follows Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations and City policies and procedures.
- Conducts education and outreach to raise awareness about sustainability efforts.
- Researches and coordinates recommendations set forth by the Sustainability and/or Open Space Commissions.
- Assists the Sustainability Manager with the development of innovative programs that promote program goals.
- Monitors and tracks education and outreach efforts for participation, cost and effectiveness.
- Researches and applies for state, federal and private funding opportunities that support the Sustainability Program’s mission. Reports on grant updates as required.
- Coordinates with partners and other city staff to implement strategies and actions associated with Program goals.
- Provides support to the Sustainability Manager and ongoing interdepartmental sustainability efforts.
- Represents the Sustainability Program at local and national meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Works with local media outlets to promote programmatic goals.
- Coordinates the work of interns and volunteers as related to sustainability initiatives.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Supervises temporary Sustainability Assistant position (to include performance evaluations) and Sustainability AmeriCorps Aide.
- Oversees the development and implementation of municipal and community-wide sustainability and climate adaptation and management efforts such as policies related to climate resiliency and preparedness, energy and fleet.
- Manages and tracks municipal and community climate adaptation and management efforts, measures progress toward goals, and reports on that progress.
- Manages community energy efficiency programming.
- Develops and implements plans, projects and policies that support the City’s energy management goals.
- Monitors and tracks municipal energy consumption and implement recommendations.
- Monitors federal, regional and state legislation related to adaptation, energy and resiliency programming.
- Coordinates the City’s energy efficiency efforts. Researches and makes recommendations on energy reduction opportunities.
- Coordinates and communicates with other government climate adaptation and management program managers.
- Maintains working knowledge of sustainability programming, management practices and trends.
- Working knowledge of sustainability concepts and strategies.
- Ability to work as part of a team to carry out the mission and goals of the Sustainability and Environmental Management Section.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written as well as follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to accept and coordinate changes in project schedules.
- Public speaking skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of City employees, the general public, other agencies and contractors.
- Ability to coordinate and monitor interns and/or volunteers, as required.
- Ability to utilize current technology.
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science, Public Relations or Administration, or related field.
- Two years of project coordination experience.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
- Two years experience in resource conservation and/or sustainability practices.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona drivers license
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- Night and weekend work as required for events and meetings.
How to Apply: Visit www.flagstaff.az.gov/hr.
City of Flagstaff Sustainability Program, http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/sustainability.
211 West Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001