State Policy Intern – Washington, D.C.
Organization: American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy
Position Title: State Policy Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: 40 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: 8-10 weeks starting in the middle/end of May 2013.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: March 14, 2013.
The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, D.C., seeks an intern for its State Policy team to work in the area of state energy efficiency policy. ACEEE acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
The intern will be part of ACEEE’s State Policy team and will assist with data collection for the 2013 State Energy Efficiency Scorecard report. The internship offers the opportunity to learn about energy efficiency policies and programs at the state level, to gain experience managing large amounts of quantitative and qualitative data, to assist with outreach to project stakeholders, and to write about policies affecting state markets for energy efficiency.
- Gather data on over-arching trends in state energy efficiency policy, and assist in turning that data into insights for inclusion in the State Scorecard.
- Conduct research on state research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) activities to supplement existing information including identifying new sources of data and outreach to stakeholders.
- Manage the survey data collection process for state building codes including distributing a survey to stakeholders to gather new information on the status of building energy codes, and then compile the data.
- Manage updates to the State Energy Efficiency Policy Database.
- Other research tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or, preferably, working towards an advanced degree in a relevant area.
- Experience with comparative policy analysis. Interest in and experience with researching complex energy policy highly preferred.
- Experience managing and manipulating quantitative and qualitative data in Excel.
- Excellent secondary research skills.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple assignments, work efficiently, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and to think critically.
How to Apply: Please send a resume with cover letter and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “State Scorecard Intern” in the subject header. We do not accept calls about our internships. ACEEE is hiring several interns for the summer of 2013 in other program areas. We ask that you apply to only one, but your application may be considered for others based on your background and interests.
American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, http://aceee.org
529 14th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, D.C. 20045-1000