Database Management Summer Intern – Boston, MA
Organization: Consortium for Energy Efficiency
Position Title: Database Management Intern
Location: Boston, MA
Hours & Compensation: 40 hours/week. Paid.
Position Dates: 12 week internship starting as early as mid-May and expected to work through August.
Application Deadline: April 12, 2013.
Posted On: March 27, 2013.
The Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE), a nonprofit public benefits corporation, develops national initiatives to promote the manufacture and purchase of energy-efficient products and services. Our goal is to induce lasting structural and behavioral changes in the marketplace, resulting in the increased adoption of energy-efficient technologies.
In today’s restructured utility market, some states are continuing with utility administration of energy-efficiency programs; other states are designating public agencies for this work. CEE serves the needs of both, providing a forum for the exchange of information and ideas.
CEE members include utilities, statewide and regional market transformation administrators, environmental groups, research organizations and state energy offices. Also contributing to the collaborative process are CEE partners – manufacturers, retailers and government agencies. The U.S. Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency both provide support through active participation as well as funding.
CEE has a position for an intern to support a research project characterizing the energy efficiency program industry. The intern will assist CEE staff in charge of CEE’s annual energy efficiency program industry data collection project. This is a large-scale effort designed to document the size and scope of the natural gas and electric energy efficiency program industry. The audience for this work includes manufacturers of hifgh efficiency products, trade associations, utilities, efficiency professionals, and state energy regulators. CEE works in partnership with the IEE, an institute of the Eduson Foundation, and the American Gas Association (AGA) to collect and analyze data on program administrator 2013 budgets and 2012 expenditures and energy savings. The project culminates in a report and data set, both of which are made available to the public.
- Data management, including helping to maintain and improve the project database and performing quality assurance
- Quality assurance, including comparing different sets of data to identify errors, identifying outlying values and missing information, and tracking the quality assurance activities to ensure that there is resolution
- Follow-up, including communicating with survey respondents via telephone and email to correct data, obtain missing data, and with non-respondents to encourage them to provide information
- Depending on intern’s interest and project needs, opportunities to help with other evaluation, research, and behavior projects
- Undergraduate student with a quantitative background and a focus on one or more of the following areas: environmental science, public policy, engineering, sociology, psychology, economics, business, computer science, or related field.
- Comfortable working with large data sets and some experience collecting and managing quantitative data.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including standard Excel functions
- Experience with Microsoft Access, particularly the development and use of tables, queries, and macros
- Ability to represent CEE and to articulate data issues clearly over the telephone (customer service experience is highly desirable)
- Class work and/or some experience in dealing with survey research, data collection, and/or data management
- Attention to detail
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with Visual Basics and Database Management
- Other computer programming or code/algorithm experience
- Experience with survey design or programming logic
- Experience using the Qualtrics online survey platform
How to Apply: Applications will be reviewed upon request. Please submit a cover letter that describes your interest in internship and applicable qualifications and a resume, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consortium for Energy Efficiency, http://www.cee1.org
98 North Washington St., Suite 101, Boston, MA 02114