Earth Gauge Intern – Washington, D.C.
Organization: National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF)
Position Title: Earth Gauge Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Minimum 20 hours/week. Interns will earn a modest hourly rate.
Position Dates: Approximately 3 months. Start April/May 2013.
Application Deadline: Accepted until filled.
NEEF is the nation’s leading organization in lifelong environmental learning, connecting people to knowledge they use to improve the quality of their lives and the health of the planet. We achieve this by providing knowledge to trusted professionals and other leaders who, with their credibility, amplify messages to national audiences to solve everyday environmental problems.
NEEF is seeking an intern for its weather and environment program, Earth Gauge. Earth Gauge, a partnership with the American Meteorological Society (AMS), provides weathercasters with the resources they need to present a range of environmental and climate topics on-air, online, in social media, and in community outreach. Currently, Earth Gauge reaches The Weather Channel, AccuWeather, and more than 250 weathercasters, radio broadcasters, and journalists in 120 cities across the United States with a free weekly email that ties a range of environmental topics to the local forecast; environmental tips for the public; information about observed impacts of climate change; and online climate and environmental continuing education courses tied to AMS certification requirements.
- Research and write new content for the weekly Earth Gauge email, focusing on water and water quality topics
- Assist in conceptualizing graphics related to new content
- Assist with tracking and monitoring Earth Gauge usage by television stations and other program partners, as well as with website updates and special projects as needed.
- Background in environmental science, atmospheric science, natural resources, or a related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a ability to translate complex science concepts into understandable terms that can be relayed to the public.
- Strong computer and research skills
- Able to work independently and in collaboration with our small program team.
How to Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please refer to ‘Earth Gauge Intern’ in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. No phone calls, please.
National Environmental Education Foundation, http://www.neefusa.org
4301 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 160, Washington, D.C. 20008
Job URL: http://neefusa.org/about/jobs.htm#eg