MassDEP Green Business Specialist – Boston, MA
Organization: Center for EcoTechnology
Position Title: MassDEP Green Business Specialist
Location: Boston, MA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time hourly position with competitive pay and benefits.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: April 4, 2013.
The Center for EcoTechnology helps people carry out their daily activities with less environmental impact. We provide practical solutions that save energy, materials and money and have a positive impact on our environment and community. We serve residents, business and communities in the areas of Energy Efficiency and Green Building, Green Homes and Businesses, and through our retail store – EcoBuilding Bargains. We’re a 35-year-old non-profit organization with offices in Pittsfield, Northampton and Springfield, Massachusetts.
The Center for EcoTechnology works with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) on the RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts program. This full-time position will work closely with the Branch Chief of Waste Planning and Commercial Waste Reduction in the MassDEP office in oston and report to the Green Business Manager within the Green Business Services department at CET.
Organics Diversion Focus
- Assist with program analysis, reporting, and measurement for composting and recycling facilities
- Provide outreach, education, and technical assistance in the areas of food waste diversion
- Assist MassDEP staff to engage state-owned facilities for food waste diversion
- Develop food waste diversion case studies for target sectors
- Potential follow-up on needs assessment for food waste diversion from food manufacturers and processors
RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts Outreach
- Coordinate with Green Business Services Department and MassDEP on waste ban outreach and compliance assistance
- Coordinate stakeholder discussions on the increased diversion of carpet, asphalt shingles, and other construction materials
- Analyze data from facilities handling construction and demolition materials and other recyclables
- Speak to business association groups like Chambers, Green Community groups, and others to promote RecyclingWorks and engage businesses.
General Business Assistance
- Serve as the first point of contact for businesses in key market sectors. Engage decision makers for technical assistance services to be provided by other Green Business Specialists as appropriate
- Communicate a working understanding of separation and collection mechanisms for commercial generators of various recyclable materials
- Respond to businesses, institutions and colleges and universities in the immediate Boston area interested in reducing waste through RecyclingWorks
- Respond to resource management questions via phone and email about environmentally prefereable purchasing, disposal, composting, and recycling.
- College degree and 2 years of related experience in the areas of solid waste, recycling, and composting
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
- Professional appearance and professional communication style in business setting
- Excellent communication skills: public speaking and demonstrated concise and professional writing skills
- Strong project management skills including the ability to work independently and in an organized way, ability to track and report results and accomplish tasks within timelines
- Experience speaking to business owners, facility managers and all levels of staff in awide range of business types
- Ability to convey information in a straightforward unbiased way and adept at helping implement incremental change
- Knowledge and experience researching information (online, print, and telephone))
- Work-style – flexible, self-directed, professional, hard-work ethic, patient, works well independently, with others, or as team leader.
- Attention to detail, good problem solving skills and observational skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and comfortable with using Excel for data tracking and analysis
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. Address to Amanda Bates, HR Assistant, 112 Elm Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201.
Center for EcoTechnology, http://www.cetonline.org.
112 Elm St., Pittsfield, MA 01201