Population and Climate Intern – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Population Action International
Position Title: Population and Climate Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: 20-40 hours/week. Small stipend.
Position Dates: Summer 2013.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: April 10, 2013.
Population Action International advocates for women and families to have access to contraception in order to improve their health, reduce poverty and protect their environment. Our research and advocacy strengthen U.S. and international assistance for family planning. We work with local and national leaders in developing countries to improve their reproductive health care programs and policies. PAI shows how these programs are critical to global concerns, such as preventing HIV, combating the effects of environmental degradation and climate change, and strengthening national security.
A Population and Climate Intern is being sought by Population Action International (PAI), an independent research and advocacy group working to strengthen support for international family planning. PAI works to ensure that every person has the right and access to sexual and reproductive health, humanity and the natural environment exist in balance and fewer people live in poverty.
The Population and Climate Intern will provide research assistance, writing and administrative support for PAI’s Population and Climate Program. This program is working to strengthen the evidence base linking population, gender, and climate change and highlight critical policy implications; highlight the benefits of linking reproductive health and family planning to climate change responses; increase support for reproductive health and family planning integration into national climate and development policies and programs; and strengthen the design and implementation of adaptation approaches, programs, and projects. Duties include tracking information and events related to the UN Development Agenda Post-2015 with a particular emphasis on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Position will be supervised by Clive Mutunga, Senior Research Associate. More information on the Population and Climate program can be found under Climate at www.populationaction.org.
- Assist in tracking and monitoring developments in the formation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Prepare an internal memo on the development of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the context of the UN Development Agenda Post-2015 discussion including an analysis of critical entry points for inputs related to population and climate dynamics.
- Routinely update PAI’s Population and Climate team on important developments/events related to the SDGs and Post-2015 (i.e. changes in the Post-2015 timeline, release of any key information, upcoming events, and any emerging trends seen in the formation process.)
- A passion for climate change, reproductive health, gender equality, demography and/or international development;
- Completed academic coursework on climate change, public health, demography, international development, international economics, political science or a similar field;
- Experience researching international development issues; excellent writing skills —writing sample required;
- Ability to gather, analyze and organize quantitative and qualitative data and information;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word;
- Ability to complete administrative tasks efficiently and with a high level of accuracy;
- Demonstrated respect for research methodology, citations and data accuracy;
- Ability to work independently in a collegial environment.
How to Apply:
Resumes with cover letter may be emailed to email@example.com.
Population Action International, http://www.populationaction.org
1300 19th Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, D.C. 20036
For questions about internships, contact Jaclyn Seisman at firstname.lastname@example.org.