Temporary Research Assistant – Washington, D.C.
Organization: Solar Energy Industries Association
Position Title: Temporary Research Assistant
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, temporary.
Position Dates: June 3 – end of 2013.
Posted On: April 11, 2013.
Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association® is the national trade association of the U.S. solar energy industry. Through advocacy and education, SEIA and its 1,000 member companies are building a strong solar industry to power America. As the voice of the industry, SEIA works to make solar a mainstream and significant energy source by expanding markets, removing market barriers, strengthening the industry and educating the public on the benefits of solar energy. SEIA currently employs 30 full-time staff and sponsors rotating interns year round.
The Research Assistant is a paid temporary position within SEIA’s research department. He or she will be part of a team responsible for maintaining SEIA’s National Solar Database (NSD) – a record of all the companies that make up the U.S. solar industry. As part of this team, the Research Assistant will be responsible for identifying companies within the industry and updating information on previously identified companies. This information will be used by the Research Assistant and the research team to produce analysis and other deliverables that support SEIA’s advocacy mission. In addition, the Research Assistant will be expected to assist with time-sensitive data inquiries involving NSD. The research assistant will report directly to the National Solar Database Manager. The position is temporary and is expected to run through the end of 2013.
- Identifying companies conducting solar business in the U.S.
- Collecting detailed data on solar companies throughout the supply chain, including manufacturers, suppliers, installers, distributors, and solar service providers;
- Utilizing a number of data collection methods, including internet surveys, phone calls, e-mail and web research;
- Collaborating with team members to devise data collection and database maintenance strategies.
- Performing basic analysis using the collected data;
- Managing a portion of the database and ensuring quality control;
- Helping to create project deliverables using information from the National Solar Database including maps, factsheets, reports, and web content.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, political science, economics, public policy, environmental science, information science, or a related field.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and an ability to communicate effectively across all mediums. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required, and experience with Access or SharePoint, as well as GIS applications, is a plus.
- Aptitude for and interest in learning about the solar industry are required.
- Capacities to meet deadlines, plan workflow and work under pressure are critical to this position. Applicants should have experience working in a team environment and the ability to collaborate effectively.
- Prior work or internship experience in renewable energy, public policy, government, or business is expected.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume in an email with the subject line “Temporary Research Assistant” to Shawn Rumery at email@example.com. Positions are open until filled.