Stewardship Coordinator – Chicago, IL
Organization: Alliance for the Great Lakes
Position Title: Stewardship Coordinator
Location: Chicago, IL
Hours & Compensation: Full-time, compensation based on qualifications.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2013, or until position is filled.
Posted On: April 15, 2013.
The mission of the Alliance for the Great Lakes is to: “conserve and restore the world’s largest freshwater resource using policy, education and local efforts, ensuring a healthy Great Lakes and clean water for generations of people and wildlife.”
The Alliance for the Great Lakes is hiring a Stewardship Coordinator (Coordinator). The Stewardship Coordinator will engage a diverse set of stewards to implement on-the-ground projects to achieve protection and restoration of Great Lakes natural resources. This is a full- time paid position with benefits.
The Coordinator will be responsible for implementation of Alliance coastal stewardship initiatives to improve our delivery of ecologically relevant results. The Coordinator should take an entrepreneurial approach to multi-disciplinary organizing and project implementation that enhances unique Great Lakes coastal ecosystems. The Coordinator should be prepared to draw on volunteer citizen scientists, municipal planning efforts, and private sector partnerships to achieve on-the-ground restoration success and targeted public education. The Coordinator should expect to work with minimal supervision as part of a talented team of stewardship, education, policy and outreach professionals.
Role in the Field (75%)
- Develop dynamic partnerships with local governments and other coastal landowners to support planning and funding of restoration projects. Organize and facilitate stakeholder meetings that bring together scientific, policy and planning experts with the goal of implementing coastal restoration projects.
- Create opportunities to engage the private sector, culturally diverse communities and other potential stewards beyond the traditional environmental community. This includes giving presentations, conducting outreach at events and training volunteers to become environmental leaders and ambassadors so that they have the skills and knowledge to address relevant Great Lakes issues and commit to taking action to improve the ecosystem.
- Coordinate volunteers and implement the Alliance’s Adopt-a-Beach program in Illinois and Indiana, including training of volunteers, review of data and providing overall program support. This includes running the organization’s September Adopt-a-Beach event in IL and IN.
Role with Alliance Team (25%)
- Partner with program managers to align and expand the Alliance’s approach to coastal restoration. As part of a team, create customized stewardship opportunities dependent on community and ecosystem needs, such as recreational beach improvement, dune restoration, invasive species control, and water quality improvements.
- Work as part of a team to develop and implement methods to track stewardship work as it relates to Great Lakes ecosystem health outcomes and the Alliance’s stewardship priorities.
- Oversee summer and fall seasonal staff in Chicago on implementation of Alliance’s September Adopt-a-Beach events.
- Bachelor degree plus 1-3 years of experience in volunteer coordination, planning, environmental policy, environmental science or related field.
- Conversant in principles and goals of restoration ecology.
- Experience gathering, organizing, and analyzing field data using GPS and GIS tools.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Highly organized facilitator with demonstrated success at project coordination with the engagement of diverse groups of stewards.
- Ability to translate complex ecological information to lay audiences and engage communities and individuals on the environmental and economic benefits of coastal restoration.
- Attraction to mission-driven public interest work.
- Ability to encourage integration of science and policy, and teamwork among staff and volunteers of varying expertise and located in different offices.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter, CV or resume, references and relevant writing sample to: Bettina Marshall, Office Manager, email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until May 15 or until the position is filled. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by e-mail, with interviews provided for finalists. No phone inquiries, please.
Great Lakes Alliance, http://www.greatlakes.org
17 North State St., Chicago, IL 60602