Clean Air Cities Campaigner – San Francisco, CA
Organization: Center for Biological Diversity
Position Title: Clean Air Cities Campaign Intern
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours & Compensation: Full or part-time.
Application Deadline: Position open until filled.Organization Overview:
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive
The Center for Biological Diversity’s Climate Law Institute seeks a motivated, creative and experienced organizer/intern dedicated to defending the Clean Air Act and its ability to curb global warming pollution and slow climate change. The intern would work with our Climate Campaign Director to implement the Center’s Clean Air Cities campaign.
The Clean Air Cities Campaigner will work with Climate Campaign Director to create a dynamic work plan to implement the Center’s Clean Air Cities campaign, a nationwide campaign calling on cities around the United States to support the Clean Air Act and push the Obama administration and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to use the Act to reduce carbon in our atmosphere to no more than 350 parts per million — the level scientists say is needed to avoid catastrophic climate change.
The Clean Air Cities Campaigner will recruit and support the Center’s volunteer advocates in taking action to urge their cities to pass Clean Air Act resolutions by, for example,
- researching city elected representatives,
- adapting fact sheets and background information to a city,
- writing letters to the editor or op-eds,
- giving talks about the Clean Air Act,
- supporting advocates in meeting with their elected representatives, and
- building coalitions in support of resolutions.
The Clean Air Cities Campaigner will support the Climate Campaign Director in engaging and coordinating our network of grassroots groups, including environmental groups, faith organizations, social justice organizations, public health groups and others to defend and promote a strong Clean Air Act.
Finally, the Clean Air Cities Campaigner will assist in maintaining and updating Climate Law Institute databases.
- Experience in community organizing or campaigning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A high comfort level talking to people in person and by phone.
- Experience working with a team and independently.
- Experience in coalition-building.
- A passion for and knowledge of protecting the natural world, biodiversity and the Clean Air Act.
- Experience with Microsoft Access and maintaining databases.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, a resume, references, and a short writing sample via email to Rose Braz, email@example.com, “Attn: Clean Air Cities Campaigner”. No phone calls please.
Center for Biological Diversity, http://www.biologicaldiversity.org
351 California Street, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94104