Environmental Scientist 3 – Las Vegas, NV
Organization: Nevada Division of Environmental Protection
Position Title: Environmental Scientist 3
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Hours & Compensation: Permanent, full-time. $46,416 – $69,029.
Application Deadline: May 7, 2013.
Posted On: April 20, 2013.
NDEP’s mission is to preserve and enhance the environment of the state in order to protect public health, sustain healthy ecosystems, and contribute to a vibrant economy.
Environmental Scientists perform program research, planning and development, permitting, compliance monitoring, inspections/enforcement, and technical support services in relation to air, water, waste, federal facilities, corrective action, mining, biology, and other environmental programs.
Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform advanced level work and may provide work direction and training to others.
The position will oversee assessment through remediation of a wide variety of contaminants through implementing the Leaking UST and Remediation Programs in the Las Vegas Valley and adjacent portions of Southern Nevada. The position is responsible for:
- technical review of assessment documents;
- review and approval of project cost proposals;
- review and approval of remediation plans; and
- providing technical guidance to program staff, the regulated community, and local governments.
Because this oversight work includes interfacing with the public concerning complex and sensitive issues, the position is responsible for problem solving, independent decision making, hazard communication, risk communication, and technical report writing. The position has responsibility for ensuring that site assessment and clean-up of released hazardous substances are protective of soil and groundwater resources and are protective of human health.
The successful candidate will poses demonstrated skills, knowledge and abilities sufficient to apply State and Federal statutes, regulations, and policies pertaining to pollution control to achieve regulatory compliance by industry, government, and the public on diverse environmental projects in a manner designed to protect human health and the environment.
To see full Class Specifications visit: http://dop.nv.gov/schematic10.htm
Education and Experience (Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in physical sciences, natural resources or life sciences, engineering, or a closely related field; and
- three years of professional environmental experience which involved environmental program research, planning, and technical support; or
- one year of experience as an Environmental Scientist 2 in Nevada State service; or
- an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Additional Position Experience
- Experience planning, managing, and/or conducting environmental clean-up projects (Leaking UST and/or Remediation projects/cases) either within a governmental agency or consulting company.
- Experience implementing risk-based decision-making to prioritize remediation resources and evaluate cases for closure.
- Experience with Microsoft Access and/or other databases.
- Experience with geodatabases and Geographic Information System (GIS) platforms.
- Experience managing complex, large-scale clean-up projects.
How to Apply:
Application Evaluation Exam
The exam will consist of an application evaluation. It is essential that applications include extensively detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. The most qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interviews.
The following additional questions are part of the Recruitment
- Describe your experience in project problem solving.
- Describe your experience dealing with the public, local governments, and/or other regulatory agencies on complex, sensitive issues.
- Describe your experience developing presentations and conducting public speaking.
Nevada Department of Environmental Protection, http://www.ndep.nv.gov
For inquiries on this position:
Sheri Dunn, Personnel Analyst, Division of Human Resource Management, Northern Nevada, 209 E Musser St., Rm 101, Carson City, NV 89701-4204