Center for City Parks Excellence Program Associate – Washington, D.C.
Position Title: Program Associate
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. $35,000 – $45,000.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: April 17, 2013.
The Center for City Park Excellence (CCPE) is a research group within The Trust for Public Land, a national land conservation nonprofit that works extensively in cities. The CCPE supports our urban operations and also acts as the leading source of information and analysis on urban park issues nationwide. This position will work primarily to assemble, analyze, and publicize CCPE’s data through an annual survey, and oversee research and writing projects related to urban park management, economics, and advocacy.
60% Data Collection & Database Management
- Manage a large-scale annual survey of city park agencies, including design and launch of online survey, frequent communication with and support for participating agencies, and quality control of submitted data
- Compile data from the survey and work with consultants and staff to design the City Park Facts report and to improve the City Park Facts website
- Manage and continually update CCPE’s primary databases and respond promptly to requests for information from internal staff, city officials, researchers, and press
- Collaborate with GIS, marketing, and local field staff on collecting data and developing methodology for the next version of ParkScore
35% Research & Writing
- Design and carry out quantitative studies, including research on the economic value of urban park systems and various park management issues, using annual survey data and CCPE’s other data resources
- Research urban planning and park issues and write articles for publications such as Planning, Landscape Architecture, based on interviews and online research
- Serve as editor of CCPE’s City Parks Blog, including writing original content, re-publishing previous CCPE work, and identifying guest contributors
- Contribute to press releases and marketing materials as necessary
- Assist the Director of CCPE on PowerPoint presentations, filing, small research projects, and occasional administrative tasks
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, political science, urban planning, environmental studies, or similar field
- 1-2 years work experience, preferable in a fast-paced, non-profit or government environment
- Experience managing large databases and manipulating datasets (Excel and Access)
- Comfortable analyzing budgets, financial trends, and economic theory related to parks and urban development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
How to Apply: Please submit resume online.
The Trust for Public Land, http://www.tpl.org
Center for City Parks Excellence, http://www.tpl.org/research/parks/ccpe.html
660 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 401, Washington, D.C. 20003