Policy Intern – Boston, MA
Organization: Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
Position Title: Policy Intern
Location: Boston, MA
Hours & Compensation: 15-30 hours/week. Unpaid.
Position Dates: Summer position beginning ASAP.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2013.
Posted On: April 24, 2013.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is led by a broad group of civic, corporate, cultural, and community leaders as well as citizens and scientists whose shared mission is to:
• restore and protect Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay
• reconnect our citizens, our communities and especially our young people to the sea
• ensure the balanced development of a world-class waterfront for everyone to enjoy
The policy intern will be enthusiastic and interested in working on a variety of projects focused on improving the water quality of the Boston Harbor. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone interested in learning about the role the non-profit sector plays in environmental improvement and advocacy since our interns have the opportunity to explore many facets of managing a far-reaching, successful non-profit organization.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation: Gather data on the water in the harbor to evaluate the quality of the water for recreation activities such as fishing, boating, and swimming; Review the results of the water tests, and determine whether or not they reinforce current water use policies.
- Policy and Communication: Organize information on a number of projects that Save the Harbor/Save the Bay can present at local and regional meetings. Prepare memos and emails that explain new water use policies and proposals to local organizations and officials.
- Research current policy issues, preserve and organize newspaper clips, prepare policy related mailings and emails.
- Advance the agenda of the Massachusetts Legislature’s Metropolitan Beaches Commission, which will hold 11 public hearings on Beacon Hill and in 9 beachfront neighborhoods and waterfront communities from Nahant to Nantasket over the next several months.
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to the Boston Harbor and water quality is a must
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet searches
How to Apply:
To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and resume email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay, http://www.savetheharbor.org
Boston Fish Pier West, Boston, MA 02210