Campaign Manager – New York, NY
Organization: Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
Job Title: Campaign Manager
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: full time, n/a
Application Deadline: n/a
Posted On: 1 May, 2013
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Campaign Manager to work with the Campaigns team, preferably in our San Francisco office. This individual will work with NRDC campaign leadership to develop and manage integrated advocacy campaigns that engage the public on NRDC’s strategic priorities; experience in the arena of sustainable food & agriculture desired. The successful Campaign Manager will work with various program directors (as assigned) and the communications team to plan and implement public engagement outreach focused on leveraging participation from consumers, business leaders and myriad specific targeted audiences to move strategic imperatives & policy objectives
- Work with program leaders to develop long and short term campaigns for mobilizing the public, grass tops leaders, and the media in support of NRDC priorities around sustainable food & agriculture ( and other projects as assigned)
- Manage campaign implementation, including extensive coordination with participating programs and numerous internal departments as well as external partners. Ability to multi-task a must.
- Provide strategic planning and project management to key issue areas
- Work with institutional staff to develop and implement rapid response campaign tactics as needed.
- Proactively identify new opportunities, within and across programs, to engage the public around saving antibiotics. Identify partnerships for more exposure.
- Works with NRDC campaign leadership to develop and manage market research which will be used to create advertising strategies as well as messaging.
- Help develop general marketing plans for advocacy campaign objectives; draft specific action plans for launching advertising efforts and for tracking & evaluating metrics over time.
- Manage and create campaign materials such as action alerts, scripts, blog posts, and other digital content, as needed. This may include the writing, editing and distribution of fact sheets, newsletters, political and educational materials. It may also include the writing, editing and reviewing of articles for mass media and health‑oriented publications.
- Align with Communications Department to drive media outreach activities related to assigned campaign, including developing media outreach plans, serving as NRDC spokesperson to various media outlets, and promote opportunities for activists to be involved and recruited.
- Coordinate with coalition partners and other allies outside the organization on campaigns, developing new partnerships and leading coalition campaign efforts when needed.
- Organize and staff campaign events such as community meetings, film screenings, and rallies.
- Expertly manage consultants and multi-level budgets
- B.A. /B.S. degree in Communications, Marketing, Political Science, or a closely related field.
- 5 years’ experience as a campaign manager, or in a comparable position in another organization which includes substantial experience planning and managing a national level advertising or outreach campaign, including strategy, organizing, lobbying, media, fundraising, program/coalition management, budget planning and extensive project management.
- Ability to facilitate team discussions and build consensus.
- Expert knowledge with public opinion research/paid advertising/earned-media/social-media and online marketing
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Substantial experience, demonstrated skill and ability, in national media relations. Includes effective television and radio presence, knowledge of multimedia & social media technologies & platforms including video, radio and print creative production processes.
- Expertise in project management and pre- and post-campaign metrics and evaluations.
- Ability to juggle multiple complex projects simultaneously and effectively.
- Familiarity with legislative and administrative processes at the federal and state levels.
- Understanding and passion for sustainable food issues
How to Apply: