Development Officer, Planned Gifts – San Francisco, CA
Organization: Earthjustice Headquarters
Job Title: Development Officer, Planned Gifts
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: full time, n/a
Application Deadline: n/a
Posted On: 1 May, 2013
Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
Earthjustice seeks an experienced, highly-organized and self-motivated fundraising professional for the position of Development Officer, Planned Gifts based in our headquarters in San Francisco. The Development Officer, Planned Gifts must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to identify, cultivate, and secure bequests, charitable gift annuities, and other planned gifts from a nationwide portfolio of prospects. He or she will manage a portfolio of top-tier planned giving prospects and will work collaboratively with other development and program staff to cultivate prospects and gifts to meet planned giving goals.
- Respond to inquiries and develop individualized strategies to deepen relationships with prospects to maximize lifetime giving via outright, split-interest, and bequest gifts, working in partnership with fundraising and program staff.
- Conduct meetings with planned gift donors and prospects to cultivate and steward gifts, increase overall engagement with Earthjustice, and assess affinity and capacity of prospects.
- Work with donors and their advisors to explore a variety of giving opportunities, providing specific, accurate information about benefits and tax & legal implications, as appropriate.
- Create appropriate gift proposals and gift agreements to meet the donors’ needs, ensuring alignment with Earthjustice gift acceptance policies and guidelines.
Planning, Research and Data Management
- Manage all information relating to current planned giving donors and prospects in a manner that emphasizes the highest standards of accuracy, timeliness, and confidentiality.
- Independently and in partnership with research staff, research legacy donors and prospects to inform donor engagement strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 5 years’ of demonstrated successful fundraising for nonprofit organizations. Planned giving experience is preferred.
- Direct experience with prospect identification, relationship building, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship required.
- Working knowledge of tax laws and personal finance preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex financial and program information clearly and concisely.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation, ability to work collaboratively and successfully as a member of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines for a wide variety of projects and to work with grace under pressure.
- Extensive travel required.
- Interest in environmental and conservation issues desirable
How to Apply:
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. For full position description and to learn more about Earthjustice visit www.earthjustice.org.