Compost Program Communications Internship – New York, NY
Organization: Office of Recycling Outreach and Education, GrowNYC
Position Title: Compost Program Communications Intern
Location: New York, NY
Hours & Compensation: 15-20 hours/week. Unpaid.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 3, 2013.
GrowNYC, a non-profit in the Mayor’s Office with an over forty-year history of improving the environment in New York City, is interviewing qualified candidates for the Compost Program Communications Internship in the Office of Recycling Outreach and Education (OROE). The Office of Recycling Outreach and Education was formed within GrowNYC in 2006 as part of the Mayor’s Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Plan. In order to meet the ambitious recycling goals outlined in the Plan, the office focuses on waste prevention, composting and recycling outreach and education, and assisting in developing and implementing additional waste prevention programs, of which this is one. In conjunction with GrowNYC’s Greenmarkets, a pilot program was established in 2011 to collect food scraps at select Greenmarkets to divert these valuable nutrients from disposal for composting. In 2012, GrowNYC established a partnership with the New York City Department of Sanitation to triple the number of locations collecting food scraps for composting.
The Compost Program Communications Intern documents the operation of the compost program and presents it to the public through social media and blog posts. The intern photographs Greenmarket food scrap drop offs and community based compost facilities during volunteer events, conducts short video interviews with program participants and site managers, and edits content for posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo.
- Photograph Compost Program frontend operations at Greenmarket locations throughout NYC
- Photograph backend operations at community compost sites throughout NYC on volunteer days
- Acquire signed photo release forms and keep an organized file of the individuals photographed
- Conduct brief video interviews with program participants, volunteers, and compost faiclity staff
- Ride in compost truck to various Greenmarkets and facilities and document logistics and operations
- Post regularly to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vimeo with approval of Program Manager
- Enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program in NYC and able to receive college credit for internship
- Experience with photography and videography, photo and video editing, familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience writing blog posts and using various social media platforms for an organization or student group
- Willingness to travel to diverse neighborhoods throughout NYC and interact with members of the public
- Proven interest in environmentalism, sustainability, urban planning, food systems, or related fields
- Available 15-20 hours per week, including at least one weekend day per week
How to Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Peter Tzannes at email@example.com and include ‘Communications Intern’ in the subject line.
51 Chambers Street, Room 228, New York, NY 10007