Land Use Field Officer – Warrenton, VA
Organization: Piedmont Environmental Council
Position Title: Land Use Field Officer
Location: Warrenton, VA
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: June 14, 2013.
Posted On: May 3, 2013.
The Piedmont Environmental Council was founded in 1972 with the purpose of preserving important attributes of the Northern Piedmont region of Virginia. Those key attributes are the open spaces, natural viewsheds, historic features, agricultural activity and the clean air and water that make living, working and visiting the region so special. Protecting these attributes, while recognizing the importance of economic vitality, has always been, and remains our core organizational goal.
Land Use issues include a locality’s comprehensive plan and ordinances, development proposals, transportation planning and specific projects, local policies and regulations related to rural land preservation, economic development, natural and historic resource protection, and other issues as necessary.
Field officers are responsible for gathering, analyzing, and distributing information on local development projects, and work with local residents and local government in all activities associated with a community’s land use policies and regulations. Field officer qualifications include energy, dedication, and the ability to inspire and work well with the community at- large. Specific skills include familiarity with land planning and the public processes of local government.
This field officer position will be focused on land use issues impacting counties in the middle of PEC’s 9-county region – with a primary focus on Culpeper County. PEC’s involvement in land use issues is broad and a Field Officer’s responsibilities require responding to fluid and often unpredictable circumstances. Responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and reviewing current and pending land use planning, transportation, and development activities and generate PEC response, when appropriate.
- Attending local government meetings and participating in relevant committees and technical workgroups.
- Serving as a technical resource on land use issues, for both local government officials and the broader community.
- Communicating regularly with PEC members, Board members and local residents. Establishing a grassroots network that supports PEC’s mission.
- College degree required – preferably in Planning or a related field. Masters degree preferred.
- Ability to recruit and motivate diverse groups of people.
- Be a self-starter with good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- An interest in the history and culture of Virginia’s piedmont region.
- Experience with the dynamics of rural communities and land use and transportation issues preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to:
Dawn Wilmot, Executive Assistant, The Piedmont Environmental Council, email: email@example.com. Please use the subject line ‘Land Use Field Officer Application’.
Piedmont Environmental Council, http://www.pecva.org
P.O. Box 460, Warrenton, VA 20188