Environment Florida Campaign Director – Tallahassee, Orlando, or Tampa Bay, Florida
Position Title: Environment Florida Campaign Director
Location: Tallahassee, Orlanda, or Tampa Bay, FL
Hours & Compensation: Full-time. Salary is commensurate with relevant experience and or advanced degrees.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 6, 2013.
Florida’s world-famous beaches, the Everglades, and the rivers, parks, and forms of wildlife too numerous to list are part of what make Floridians among the luckiest people on earth. Yet the places we love and the environmental values we share are too often threatened by powerful industries, big developers, and shortsighted politicians. Defending our environment requires independent research, tough-minded advocacy and spirited grassroots action. That’s the idea behind Environment Florida. Together with thousands of supporters from all walks of life, we win tangible results for our environment, from reducing mercury pollution from coal-fired power plants, to protecting the Everglades from foolish development proposals.
Florida is well known as political battleground state. What’s less well known is the battle brewing over the future of the Florida’s environment. For decades, the protection of the state’s beaches, parks, and open spaces has enjoyed broad, bipartisan support. But today, big money polluters from the Koch Brothers to Big Sugar have captured too many of our far-right wing politicians and those in power in Tallahassee. As a result, our land conservation programs have gone broke. Our incentives for solar power have run dry. And for the first time in the state’s history, offshore oil and gas rigs could threaten our prized coast.
That’s where you come in. You are an experienced organizer who is ready to go where the fight is. You know that it takes statewide grassroots action to go toe-to-toe with the biggest polluters of our day and win. And you know the fight is going to be tough here in Florida. Be it major, international corporations and their offshore drilling interests, or developers looking to pave the Everglades, special interests are powerful. But you know people power is stronger, and you are as passionate as we are about building a citizen’s organization ready to protect what we all hold so dear.
- Program development: You’ll identify the biggest environmental problems in Florida, develop solutions, pick a vehicle to enact your solutions, and the strategy it will take to win.
- Communications: You’ll craft compelling messages for a wide variety of audiences, develop materials from a campaign slogan to fact sheets, editorials and news releases to website content and email alerts.
- Media: You’ll focus state, and at times national, media attention on our campaigns to create momentum, educate citizens and decision makers and build credibility. You’ll build relationships with key people in the media, like reporters, editors and publishers.
- Building Coalitions: You’ll reach across isles and outside of the traditional environmental community to build wide-based public support to influence decision makers. You’ll work with celebrities, VIPs and all of the usual suspects.
- Organizing the Field: You’ll organize resources to gain access and generate political pressure on decision-makers and turn out the vote in elections. You’ll work with our field staff, internet team, members and volunteers to mobilize activists ready to fight for Florida.
- Fundraising: You’ll build lasting relationships in the funder community and build resources for your work with foundations and major donors.
- Committed to defending the environment in Florida and building the public support it takes in the long term to be ready for whatever tomorrow may bring
- Ambitious, a leader, and have a track record of accomplishment
- At least 2 years of post-college professional experience, such as environmental advocacy, grassroots organizing, investigative journalism, law school, or post-graduation legal work
How to Apply:
Only online applications will be considered. Apply here. Please specify where you heard about this position.
Environment Florida, http://www.environmentflorida.org
310 N. Monroe St., Tallahassee, FL 32301