Nuestro Futuro Advocate – San Jose, CA
Organization: Greenbelt Alliance
Position Title: Nuestro Futuro Advocate
Location: San Jose, CA
Hours & Compensation: Unpaid.
Position Dates: Minimum of four months.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 13, 2013.
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We defend natural and agricultural landscapes from development while helping create great cities and neighborhoods. We bring together residents and decision-makers, business leaders, labor unions and others to find innovative solutions to our region’s growth challenges.
Nuestro Futuro is an initiative of the Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley (HFSV). The initiative builds upon the Silicon Valley Latino Report Card, which evaluated various key indicators around five quality of life areas: education, health, housing, financial stability and environmentalsustainability. Greenbelt Alliance is the lead partner on the EnvironmentalSustainability quality of life area. We are seeking a qualified volunteer intern to help us engage Latinos in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.
Nuestro Futuro emphasizes the importance of unilateral planning and collaboration that promotes increased civic participation amongst Silicon Valley Latinos; such planning incorporates tree top and grass roots strategies. The objectives of the Nuestro Futuro community engagement process are to do the following:
- Ask Latinos what issues are most important to them.
- Activate a broad segment of the Latino community in bringing positive change across San Mateo and Santa Clara counties
Cultural Strategies developed a one-year Community Engagement Plan for HFSV. It is an initiative that utilizes an inclusive and culturally relevant approach to build trust and strengthen networks among the identified audiences. The goal is to create meaningful connections and provide engagement tools in order to create advocates, volunteers, leadership, and pathways to identify community issues and solutions.
- Receive training for the Advocate role
- Assist in administering surveys (minimum of 100)
- Host ten platicas (community chats) with existing Latino networks
- Use social media to promote the Nuestro Futuro initiative
- Help identify local events with a focus on the Latino community
- Analyze and assess survey results; assist in interpreting responses from platica participants
- Interest in urban and regional planning, community engagement, public policy, and/or environmental studies
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to plan/execute events
- Ability to facilitate meetings and build excellent working relationships with community groups and policy makers
How to Apply:
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Nuestro Futuro Initiative.
Greenbelt Alliance, http://www.greenbelt.org
1922 The Alameda, Suite 213, San Jose, CA 95126