San Jose PARK(ing) Day Coordinator – San Jose, CA
Organization: Greenbelt Alliance
Position Title: San Jose PARK(ing) Day Coordinator
Location: San Jose, CA
Hours & Compensation: Unpaid.
Position Dates: Minimum of four months.
Application Deadline: None posted.
Posted On: May 13, 2013.
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We defend natural and agricultural landscapes from development while helping create great cities and neighborhoods. We bring together residents and decision-makers, business leaders, labor unions and others to find innovative solutions to our region’s growth challenges.
The San Jose PARK(ing) Day Coordinator will coordinate activities around PARK(ing) Day in downtown San Jose on Friday, September 20, 2013.
PARK(ing) Day is an annual event on the third Friday in September when artists, activists, and citizens collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into temporary public parks. PARK(ing) Day was originally created in 2005 by Rebar, a San Francisco art and design collective. Since 2005, the project has blossomed into a worldwide grassroots movement: PARK(ing) Day 2011 included more than 900 “PARK” installations in more than 160 cities on six continents.
Last year, there were more than ten parking spots transformed into temporary parks in downtown San Jose. This year we would like to grow this event even more. A Greenbelt Alliance volunteer intern organized this event in San Jose three years ago and created a document outlining all the steps required to make PARK(ing) Day 2013 a success.
- Coordinate a steering committee of interested PARK(ing) Day participants to help with outreach and adoption of temporary ‘pop-up parks’
- Oversee promotion of event through use of flyers, social media, word of mouth, e-lists, and more
- Work with City of San Jose on logistics for event
- Design Greenbelt Alliance’s ‘park-let’ and identify donations for the park
- Coordinate day-of-event activities
- Interest in urban and regional planning, community engagement, public policy, and/or environmental studies
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to plan/execute events
- Ability to facilitate meetings and build excellent working relationships with community groups and policy makers
How to Apply:
Please send resume to email@example.com with subject line: PARK(ing) Day Volunteer Internship
Greenbelt Alliance, http://www.greenbelt.org
1922 The Alameda, Suite 213, San Jose, CA 95126